Gibson Brands Forums

No Name '69

brianh

Boy those tuners look like the same as my old Emperor, and for those alone I would give him the $145.00, but hey thats just me. Does he list the model or number for it, kinda hard to tell, see if he will takes some pics of the decal and the back and most importantly the neck up and down and the neck joint.Ship

Well I went over and got it. It's a bolt-on rosewood neck model 6832 s/n 95417, which according to some sites is a rebranded MIJ Aria, which is strange because the label says Kalamazoo, MI. The Epi headstock and fret markers are inlaid (fake?) MOP but not silkscreened. In any case, the neck is striaght as an arrow, no fret wear, low action, and not a single buzz on any fret/string and all original everything. The bridge is pulling up very slightly on one corner, but nothing I can't fix. Also has a small personalization on the back, says "1970". I think I paid too much, but the fretboard is so nice and easy I don't feel bad at all. Perfect as a basement gimmie guitar. Can't buy anything close for $145 new these days!

Cheers, Brian

Brianh here is an older post that is very similar to yours.

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1756

And one of them valued that guitar at about $200.00 so I think you got yourself a good deal, so maybe a diamond in the rough as they say.Ship....................personally I really love the even older Epiphones, but the Japanes Epi's were not slouch's by any strech and I have found most I have seen to be pretty darn good players, its just to bad they couldn't satay true to what they started off as.

Hi Ship, thanks for the reply.

I saw that post and it went into great detail about the markings on the sound hole "blue label". The 6832 I picked up yesterday has the blue label all right, but it has none of the extraeneous markings in the lower left corner. So I fantasize that this one was made in the US just before they shifted mfg to Japan.

But it matters little, it's a $200 guitar in great shape with a straight neck and good tone. I have it apart on the bench right now waiting for some 7" bridge clamps from Stew/Mac. As you can see, it's in excellent shape. I was going to change the tuners out but changed my mind; they're in great shape, work fine and keep it vintage.

P1000378b.jpg

P1000380b.jpg

BTW my main box is a 50's Guild A-500 Stuart I've had since '75. I wish I'd bought a US Emperor or Sheraton back then when they were affordable!

Cheers,

Thanks' date=' figured as much. Do you know anything about the 80's Japanese Epi Genesis? I have a post on the electric forum but getting no answers. Probably too obscure for most Epi fans:

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=8049

Cheers,[/quote']

Nope I know virtually nothing about offshore-made Epis. But I do know that Ampeg Mercury ya got is one sweet little amp.

Jap built Norlin Epi for sure. $145.00. Probably a good price, since it appears you are doing the bridge repair yourself.

If it sounds and plays like a $200.00 guit tar, you're $55.00 to the good.

This type of tuner was common very early after the move from K'zoo, at least the first 6 months - year after the move. My guess, since these types of tuner buttons look more at home on a classic guit tar, is they WERE intended for a classic guitar, but Matsumoku had to re-purpose these until they could get their tuner supplier up to speed. The K'zoo reference on this and later blue labels is only the name of a town in Michigan.

Immediately, after coming from K'zoo, they used labels which proclaimed "Union Made". These were probably left over labels shipped from K'zoo with all the other Epi tooling, parts and such. These words were or should have been, blacked out with a black marker, then 'Made in Japan' stamped next to it. Later blue labels read 'MIJ' printed in the lower right. btw, the one I've seen with the Union Made blacked out had the black marker faded and you could easily read "Union Made" through the ink... almost as if it were highlighted.

I suspect your label is an interim blue label.

Check an Iconoclast post on this subject for the detailed history. I think these 6xxx series model numbers were short lived. They may have been Aria model numbers. I've heard of a 6xxx model with an E suffix. I suspect this kept the factory inventory straight, differentiating these as Epis and not Arias. The FT nomenclature replaced these.

I surmise that since this has the pearloid logo and early tuners, this was a late 6xxx specimen.

>>Here's a 1974 catalog of FTs.<<

Yours appears to be the predecessor of the FT135.

Nice Score!

Wow thanks, and especially for the link to the '74 Matsumoku catalog. You seem very up on this era, any advice on my search for original machine tuners for the '79 Epi Genesis on the electric post?

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=8049

I can't seem to find anything form Schaller, Grover, Sperzel or knock-offs with the same head style and screw pattern. Grover 205C minis seem to have the right screw pattern and head shape, but too small for those big headstocks. I'm starting to think I'm going to need a parts guitar to save this one!

Cheers,

I have a fair amount of familiarity with this era as I have a FT145SB, acquired in about 1974. (see avatar)

My familiarity is only with the cordless variety.... sorry.

ALthough I would some day LOVE to snag a 'Scroll', just because it looks so darn cool.

Archived