Gibson Brands Forums

New Pickguard

ajsc

Levon already hooked me up with a warranty replacement. I didn't use it though, because it's exactly the same as the one that came with the guitar. It will have the same issues!!

I'm interested in getting one of the the "new, & improved ones".

The one they sent me makes a good book marker for my "Fabulous Flat-Top guitars book".

I recently purchased a J100 Xtra, the guy I bought it from had one of the new SJ200 pickguards installed at Music Villa just before I bought it. He gave me the receipt for the pickguard, $250. It aint cheap but it does look nice.

Cheers

Jeff

Some of you may have followed the issue I had with my hummingbird's pickguard peeling up.

Today I did a string change, clean and polish, and replaced my bridge pins with the buffalo horn pins that came in.

I figured this would be a good time to pull up the old pickguard.

Now I'm no expert, but it appears to me from the lacquer underneath, that the old pickguard may have been set in place before the lacquer dried. At the very least, before it had fully cured. The adhesive was a very thin layer. What was left on the guitar came off with ease with a little naphtha.

There is a definite pickguard depression in the lacquer. At least lining up the new one will be very easy. But it has me wondering, could this be the reason the original adhesive failed? I mean, if the lacquer was still damp or tacky, then maybe there was no set surface for the pickguard adhesive to stick to, thus causing the points of the guard to pop up.

Anyway, I'm gonna let it set without the guard at least a week or so before I put the new one on.

As for the buffalo horn pins, I don't know that I notice any improvement in sound, if any, maybe a little brighter, but IMO they look a ton better.

Interesting. First of all, the lacquer is fuly dry before they install the pickguards. I've been told that any new guitar will take quite a while for the lacquer to fully cure, depending on the conditions. That's another reason why they recommend that you not leave a strap or anything else in direct contact with a new guitar finish (months), because it could bleed into the lacquer before it's fully cured. I don't think it would be the cause for a pickguard actually lifting, because I believe the entire back of the pickguard has the adhesive on it.

Yeah it does Mike. I'm sure in large scale production of the pickguards themselves, the adhesion comes on large rolls with a wax paper type of backing. It's most likely applied to the guard material then stamped out. then you just peel away the paper and apply. As I stated in another post about it, could have just been a some slight grease residual from a fingerprint during the install that caused the point to pop up, then after air got under it, the other areas became less tacky. It seemed to be a pretty strong adhesive though.

Archived