Gibson Brands Forums

Why Did You Choose Epiphone, And...Would You Again?

charlie brown

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was always facinated by guitars. Read everything I stumbled onto but never went looking for information. This started in my teens and was always a constant. About 4 years ago my best friend since 6th grade purchased a

Squire StratPack and brought it by for me to look over. We're now in our early 40's. Pushing it into my hands he

said "here, play something". I responded with, thanks, no, I've never even held one. He said somewhat amazed,

"You know more about guitars than most anybody I've ever known, what do you mean you've never held one?" I

explained that while I was on the outside looking in I knew if I ever got my hands on one I was doomed. He in-

sisted with "well, that ends today". Holding an electric for the first time to me was kinda like the first time some-

body hands you an infant. Not real sure what to do with it, what it's capable of, realize that it weighs more than

you thought, stricken with fear that you might drop it, and that you really want someone to come take it outta your

hands right now. Still, i held it, ran my hand down the neck for the first time in my life, felt the strings vibrate under

my fingertips and handed it back to him.

Hours later I mentioned to the wife I was thinking about buing a guitar. Looking up from the newspaper with

a pair of eyes that conveyed all seriousness, she said "fine, get what you want, don't spend a bunch of money but

I think it's a great idea"...and went back to the paper. Dumbfounded by this I asked why this was approved without

discussion, to which she replied... "maybe if you played guitar you'd be home more. Research began immeadiatly.

There wasn't any real issue as to what guitar only as to which. From years of toying with the idea of "someday", I

knew it was an SG and a Marshall for me. Knowing I wanted something that would inspire me but not cause diffi-

culty in learning due to lack of quality I started looking at used Gibsons and new Epiphones. Didn't take long to

realize that even used Gibsons didn't make sense considering my just beginning and the G-400's were really catch-

ing my eye. By the time I honed-in on what was to be my first ever guitar it was December, she and my son got me

a new Goth and a Marshall MG-15 CDR for Christmas. The floodgates were opened.

That summer our house was burglarized and my Goth was stolen. Faced with replacing it I bought a new '66 style. Wanting an Angus sig but by no way being able to justify it, I modded the new one into a similar arrangement

with upgrades. Whole new world after that and I've been doing G-400's ever since. Still and especially now can't

justify a Gibson purchase. I bought an Iommi, and I feel so inadequate just holding that thing it never leaves the

case. I still can't even play well enough to even be considered a hack but I've really enjoyed the hands on approach

to my quest so much more than just reading about the instrument occasionally. The wife demands now that if I play

I need to go somewhere else to do it so I guess I've come full circle. For me the decision to buy my first Epiphone

was a given. I now own five G-400s and will buy more, without a doubt. That said, it probably will be used. I've found

that I really enjoy refurbin' a neglected guitar. The only ones bought new were the ones previously mentioned, the Goth and the '66, but the Iommi, while used, was mint, filthy and neglected but perfect. I'm pretty leary of the Chinas,

like so many others, but I did pick up an "EE" for a beater to have at the office and truly I can't find fault with it other

than some finish issues near the neck joint. I've looked for reason to dislike it and honestly can't find any real problems in construction, not that I'm gonna look for China builts in the future until their reputation improves. Far

too many "U-Fix-Its" on Ebay seem to come from that region compared to Korean counterparts and I don't think that's

entirely due to age. So yeah, I'll keep buying Epi's. Someday maybe a Gibson but for now I still don't feel like I would

benefit from the advancement. My son has pointed out, (repetedly), that for what I've spent on my G-400's I could

have had a Gibson SG and he's right. But one of the things I've grown to really enjoy is the diversity I can create by

working on less expensive versions without the worry of changing the factory assembly and resale value by tweakin'

on something that costs far more. God help me when I finally buy my first Les Paul. I've got that narrowed down too,

I'm gassing for a TwistedSister Elitest or a BoneYard. If I get anywhere near as smitten as I am now with a different

shape I may be looking for a new residence, but for now I'm happy.

Wedgie

Ah...E-bay! I'm sure, that is one reason, we have such an abundance of "problem children"(guitar type, that is), and

maybe(?) a skewed perception, of what appears to be a larger QC problem, than might be the "reality?" How many

Good Deals, have really been, that great, as it turned out. Some...for sure. I've had them, myself. But, I've also

had some that seemed OK/Good even, at first...and turned out to be not so good. I think we need to focus on the

"middle man," as much or more, than the factory/country of origin...especially with E-bay, and on-line sellers, like that.

I'm not trashing "E-bay" per se...but like any purchase, especially from some unknown/unseen seller...you have to be

VERY careful, particular, etc. Too many seem to feel, "Well, it's no big deal, considering the price," in their purchase equation.

Not a good mindset, for keeping things on the up and up, and people responsible, quality and business wise.

"No one can take advantage of you, without your permission" (Eleanor Roosevelt). SO true! China, E-bay, or your

friendly Guitar Center...fill in the blank store.

CB

Archived