Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone BB King Lucille Tuners?

slasher1319

Slash,

I would like to quell this "urban myth" once and for all. Modern tuners are, for the most part, either bargain lines of big manufacturers or clones of the good ones. Their designs are sound, and so, for the most part, they do not slip. This was not true years ago, but is true today.

The reasons to change them are 1) looks, and 2) to improve the gear ratio.

Now, a course gear ratio may make you feel that you can't quite get the tuning right--and therefore have the impression that the guitar won't hold its tune. The old-timey tuners (and the lower-end tuners today) had a 14:1 gear ratio. Modern higher-end tuners may have an 18:1 ratio. This helps you zero-in on the exact pitch, if you have a sensitive ear.

But I believe the Lucille has a TP-6 fine tuner below its bridge. I put a TP-6 on my 335 years ago precisely to make up for the Kluson's 14:1 gear ratio and never had a problem getting precisely in tune.

If you are interested in the Epi Lucille (and it is a great guitar with a great heritage), get one and see how you like the tuners. If you feel you must change them to get "closer" to the Gibby, go ahead. But I would be REALLY surprised if you had any tuning problems. Cheers.

I used my sheris tuners for.. 15 years?.. and I have not idea who made them.

Got 18.00 off ebay used, though, and he gave me good feedback!

but I will say this, the higher ratio grovers I put on ARE nicer.

and of course.. looks! I went for Imperial knobs.

I have a bunch of import sealed tuners here.. and honestly, they work just fine.

Stick a brand name on those suckers and I could actually make a profit!

open gear tuners, or those with the back case that's just thin metal held on by the screw.. not so hot.

but there are good open gear tuners, too.. that's where a brand name can really mean something.

new epis have grovers and all I've seen so far are quite good!

TWANG

Archived