Gibson Brands Forums

Tube Amp Extravaganza!

Sorry for not getting back earlier M...stomach problems took me out for the whole weekend.

Anyhow as always you be right on. I wasn't really concerend about the electronics when I mean buying "new"...LOL...I was referring to nobody elses finger prints on it sort of speaking. Told you it was one of those weird things we somteimes go through :-({|= .

I belive with the new price hike they are at 1700. Last year I could have walked out the door with one for just over 900 bucks. Still, as you say it makes more sense to do buy used and restore it if need be. Definitely agree in the long run I'd be getting a much better amp for less money too.

BTW...you got some satalite thing looked on my butt. That's EXACTLY the price they are asking for the Vibrolux. Didn't you mention a while back having one?

Anyways thanks for knocking some sense back into me....LOL...and that's no easy to do](*,) . Darn...you actually got me all excited again as far amp shopping. Was getting pretty discouraged there for a while.

BTW...you got some satalite thing looked on my butt. That's EXACTLY the price they are asking for the Vibrolux. Didn't you mention a while back having one?

'66 Pro Reverb, another literal steal in the vintage amp market. They've never commanded the stratospheric prices that the '65 DR, VR, and TR have, for whatever reason. It's one of the nicest amps Fender ever made, and it remains a bargain in the used market.

I really don't have anything against folks that prefer to buy new. I understand that entirely. I just don't know how much sense it really makes when you're talking about amps that have been re-issued, when the vintage versions can be had for less, or at least no more money than a new one. I remember being flabbergasted when the reissue deluxe reverb came out, and people were paying $550-$600 or so for them, because at the time, SF verions were giong for that or less. But, some people prefer that shiny new car smell, and they like having a factory warranty in their pocket. That just makes the vintage versions of those reissues all the more in reach to those of us who prefer them.

I always admired the Fender Super Reverb back in the 60 when tubes were king. Not that they aren't now, but prices skew the sales, especially when features and modeling front ends come into play. The Super's 4x10 complement just gave it a presence and bite that you didn't get with 12" speakers of the day.

It's odd that there aren't a lot of Supers for sale on the current market.

A friend of mine had a Fender Deluxe Reverb sitting in his closet for 15 years. He mentioned it one day and I told him that it was worth some bucks. He asked a friend who was into tube amps about what it was worth. The guy said he couldn't afford to buy it now, but knowing my friend was a fisherman he told him he had a boat, motor, and trailer for sale that he would swap him for it. So, he now has an aluminum bass boat, motor, and trailer for his Delux Reverb. He's a happy guy!

Archived