Gibson Brands Forums

Help is my epiphone sheraton fake?

nonstopdanny

Hi i wonder if someone could help me, i got a new 2008 epiphone vs for xmas and all was fine but when one of my friends came over who also plays a sheraton he asked why my guitar does not have a serial number on the headstock. i didnt know and it has made me think my guitar may be a fake although it was bought fcrom a reputably online store. the other guitarist in his band also has a shedraton and his also has the serial no on the headstock.

That got me comparing guitars and googling images ect and i also noticed every other sheraton in vintage sunburst i have seen also has a sunburst neck with what looks like two inlayed lines on it, mine does not it is pure black. im not sure if this is something that got changed when they decided to change the colour of the sunburst a while back but any help would be great.

Kind regards Danny

I really thought it might be, allthough i did buy it from guitarguitar which is a well known company in the uk. but i have just taken a look on the inside sticker and wrote the number down to do a search but it says serial number not recognised. most seem to start with letter but on my sticker it does not all it says is the model name and colour and then the number : 08081500050

I just bought an '08 Riviera from the largest music store chain in Canada and it doesn't have the SN on the headstock either. It's on the orange sticker under the upper f-hole. I wouldn't worry about it based on the SN. Yours follows the same pattern as mine.

Hi i wonder if someone could help me' date=' i got a new 2008 epiphone vs for xmas and all was fine but when one of my friends came over who also plays a sheraton he asked why my guitar does not have a serial number on the headstock. i didnt know and it has made me think my guitar may be a fake although it was bought fcrom a reputably online store. the other guitarist in his band also has a shedraton and his also has the serial no on the headstock.

That got me comparing guitars and googling images ect and i also noticed every other sheraton in vintage sunburst i have seen also has a sunburst neck with what looks like two inlayed lines on it, mine does not it is pure black. im not sure if this is something that got changed when they decided to change the colour of the sunburst a while back but any help would be great.

Kind regards Danny[/quote']

Pictures would help.

nonstopdanny, I wouldn't worry about it. Since most of the Electric Epiphones (that's where the EE was coming

from on the earlier ones made) are being made at the Qingdao, China factory, they dropped the EE and just put

the serial number. It's weird with the semi-hollow or hollow bodies anyway. I've seen them with the serial #

just on the headstock (my Sheraton II was that way) and not on the sticker. Then there's ones like your where it's

not on the headstock, but on the sticker inside, and I saw an older Epi Emperor (not Joe Pass) with it in both places.

If I were you I'd just get in contact with the people at Gibson (the number should be on the card that comes with

your guitar when you buy it) and just have them confirm it's legit. Like I said, on mine it just had it on the headstock

and after seeing the Emperor I mentioned I was a little leary, but when I contacted Gibson they assured me that

my Sheraton II was legit (my was made in Saien, Korea in August of 2005 and started like this I0508...)

Maybe the newer ones made in China, like yours with the serial # 08081500050 means made on August 15, 2008

guitar number 00050. My Les Paul Standard started with EE0710 and then 5 extra numbers meaning it was

manufactured in October of 2007 and it checked out on the date thing that lots of the guys on the forum mention. Again, check with Gibson to be sure. Wouldn't hurt.](*,)

Archived