Gibson Brands Forums

anyone played or heard either of these..

TWANG

"Playing Tip: IT IS RECOMENTED FOR THE PLAYER TO USE A VERY THICK (3 TO 3.5 MM - QUARTER POUND SIZE) PICK TO GET THE REQUIRED VOLUME AND GYPSY SOUND WHEN PLAYING THIS GUITAR. THE PICK PLAYING LOCATION SHOULD BE NEAR THE "MOUSTACHE" BRIDGE AND THE PICK SHOULD BE HELD IN A POSITION VERTICAL TO THE STRINGS WITH THE RIGHT ARM/FINGERS NOT RESTING ON THE TOP OF THE INSTRUMENT."

That's a copy of Django's guitar alright, but I've never heard or played any Rondo guitar to my recollection. BTW, what is a quarter-pound size pick? Is that like a quarter-pound all-beef patty? Also how do you not hold your pick in a position vertical to the string? Doesn't any acoustic sound like a "gypsy" guitar when you play near the bridge with your "arms/fingers not resting on the top of the instrument"?

Django9.jpg

Hey wait...Django's arm and hands are touching the top of the guitar!!?? Apparently he needs another lesson from Rondo... Also where's his 1/4 lb. pick? We're just going to have to have him review those critical Rondo Playing Tips from the beginning.

They just mean a heavy than usual pic.. and quite a few people even put armrests on acoustics so the top can vibrate more.

He had an aggressive style and actually got some distortion out of an acoustic, and it wasn't just a hot mic.

I think I'll pass on that one anyway.

tWANG

A 'proper' Hot Club Jazz, aka Django style, pick is usually made of a type of stone. One may be able to approximate by supergluing 3 or 4 cookie cutter flat picks (think Fender) sandwiched together, then filing and sanding and polishing to a rounded point.

Some U.S. truckstops and tourist traps sell what they call 'worry stones'. One places in one's pocket, then fidgets with it by rubbing between fingers and thumb. It's usually about 1/4" - 3/16" thick, oblong and a dished out area in the center for rubbing your thumb. This would be good raw material for a 'proper' Django pick.

Turn Key Django picks begin at about $25.00 each. Loosing one is a major deal.

Turn Key Django picks begin at about $25.00 each. Loosing one is a major deal.

We've all heard about Bob Colosi's bone and ivory saddles and fretboard nuts, but did you know he offers these in ivory?

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/images/Images%20PRODUCTS/pick.jpg

That's just one of the 4 models he offers, it was the only one I could capture a photo of. His "tripple tip" has a very rounded corner, much as you described, and I can attest to the fact that these are THICK. I ordered his thinnest model and it was way too thick for me.

Pricey, though.....8-[ , but in the same price range as you mentioned in the quote above.

Dugly :-k

Archived