Gibson Brands Forums

Your thoughts on pickups

Yew

im looking at either a gibson 57' classic (as i can get one quite cheap and they sound good)

but recently ive started to wonder if a gretsch filtertrong and a mount to fit it in a stock pickup cavity

i like the 57 classic sound very much, but i cant forget the sounds from malcolm young's gretsch firebird

any thoughts welcomed

Ant

thanks, problem is i need uk suppliers

i can make a mount no problem (using my schools laser cutter)

its more the lead tone of the filtertron im wondering about

(and maybe also the rhythm tone of the 57 classic)

im into acdc style of music by the way, i want somthing with a bit better rhythm tone than epi stock pups, but a much (warmer? fuller? better?) lead tone as the epi stock pups dont have the sound

thanks' date=' problem is i need uk suppliers[/quote']

Well, according to the GuitarFetish website, they do ship internationally.

I'm sure there will as many opinions as there are pickups to choose

from but I think it's safe to say that almost any replacement will be

better than the stock pickups. Happy hunting!

I've bought pups from GFS on a couple of occasions and can confirm that shipping time to the UK is between 4 & 7 days. In terms of quality they're way better than the stock Epi pups. In terms of pricing to the UK though, now the pound has dropped in respect to the $ they're not that cheap when you add shipping.

As an example I was able to get a matched set of Bare Knuckle Yardbirds for my Tele which are hand wound for about £20 more than the GFS versions. The GFS ones were cheaper but the shipping killed it.

Actually may be worth checking out the Bare Knuckle site as they may have what you're looking for.

Click Here Bare Knuckle Pickups Site

As an example I was able to get a matched set of Bare Knuckle Yardbirds for my Tele which are hand wound for about £20 more than the GFS versions. The GFS ones were cheaper but the shipping killed it.

Are you sure? The cheapest calibrated BK HB-set is a whopping $240 bucks' date=' and that [i']excludes[/i] shipping.

I must admit I was baseing it on my matched Tele S/C set.

Cost from GFS was $96.90 including shipping (need to add 15% Vat to that plus import tax in case it doesn't slip through. Generally you can get away without it but need to factor it in just in case HMRC decide to look at the parcel!)

Cost of matched custom wound BK Yardbirds was £129 inc shipping (£3.50 to anywhere in the UK)

At the time the £ was weaker than it is now so the BK's were a no brainer.

Archived