Gibson Brands Forums

Help me identify this older Epiphone SG Special; what years/wood?

elsmacko

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I forgot to mention it says made in china. Yes, this is a SG Bully. I read reviews at HC and compared it to this one.

It has the big high output pickup in the bridge just as described in those reviesw. 16k resistance. It is bassy sounding pup, gets muddy fairly easily.

Yep I ended up putting the DragonFire active pickups in here! It sounds suweet! It is a nice match with this guitar, I must say. I nice cheap solid black little SG and some nice cheap black active pickups. The really bassy pickup that came with it was pretty muddy (worked good for bluesy stuff). But the dragonfires are really strong in the lower-midrange (they still have enough high end though). Plenty of harmonics, sustain.

Basically it's like a really cheap iommi sounding guitar! Wow I never new I get get one for so little invested.

You get both pickups, and all the other stuff: 2 25k tone pots, capacitor, the battery clip, springs/screws, umm I think that is all. No rings. But for $80 you just can complain. They got here really quick.

The only problem is I am playing thru a cheap little solid state amp, so I am not fully taking advantage of these active pups (or really any good pickup). And I play thru a BOSS mutli effects pedal from the 80-90's (digital). BUt yeah these pickups really do go good with this guitar.

I now need a real amp to fully take advantage of these pickups.

By the way, it really feels like a new guitar with these pups. I really like the neck on this guitar (natural finish), and the body of course having the trademark SG shape in black, it's quite the heavy metal rocker! I'm seriously considering going with black hardware and getting some cool inlay decals off ebay (they have crosses, stars, etc) to give it that really heavy metal look. I'm not a total metal head, but it just would be cool. Really cool.lol

My style is bluesy stuff with distortion, and some of the following here and there: wah, delay, flanger; all the stuff in the bosss multi effects.

Here is my little guitar site with pics:

http://guitar-nut.tripod.com/

Dragonfire active pickups set:

http://www.guitarpartsonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=525

Vinyl decal inlays on ebay (anyone else tried these?):

http://search.ebay.com/vinyl-inlay_W0QQfromZR40QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ34QQsbrsrtZd

I just got off-line with Guitarfetish, ordered 100 bux worth of

misc git parts - knobs, pots, couple of bridges (actually NOT BAD,

put one on my Raven). trim goodies, and the mythical "Sprauge

Orange Drop .022ufd Tone caps. Have bought GFS "Fat Pat" pups from

them, know of other "well-known" forum member who uses GFS. Ain't

NOTHIN' WRONG WITH Guitarfetish, GOOOOODDDD prices!

I just got off-line with Guitarfetish' date=' ordered 100 bux worth of

misc git parts - knobs, pots, couple of bridges (actually NOT BAD,

put one on my Raven). trim goodies, and the mythical "Sprauge

Orange Drop .022ufd Tone caps. Have bought GFS "Fat Pat" pups from

them, know of other "well-known" forum member who uses GFS. Ain't

NOTHIN' WRONG WITH Guitarfetish, GOOOOODDDD prices![/quote']

How did you like the Fat PAT? I have one right now. I am having a tough time really telling a difference between pickups with this digital effetcs and crappy digital amp I play thru.

What's a good way to test a pickup with this kind of equipment? Maybe playing clean make a difference? I usually play with distortion.

Archived