Gibson Brands Forums

My guitar isnt gold!

Hiberna

I recently removed the pickguard and pups from it and underneath both it was silver!

It turns our that the lacour has been discoloured by something (Probably sunlight) and its turned that tarnished gold colour!

he's the silver version which i found on the internet.

Jguitar9.JPG

he'res mine in its current state,

n1160417378_30379205_6516.jpg

i feel a little sad but still, i wonder how many of these were made.

Further more, is it gonna have any other miraculous colour changes? if so what to? what colour does lacour change to?

As lacquer ages, it will usually turn a yellowish color, darkening as it goes. We used to run into problems with that all the time with cabinets, when someone would need a replacement door a year or two after we built the original cabinets, and we always played hell trying to match the color. The clear lacquer on woodgrain was bad enough, but the white opaque lacquer we used was almost impossible to match once it started to age.

My other guitarist has a Gibson custom from the 90s that has a semi-transparent white finish on maple, and we were contemplating how it would look sans pickguard... When we took it off, there was a pickguard shaped spot underneath that was about 2 shades lighter and whiter than the rest of the guitar. That's why I take all my pickguards off, so the tops all age evenly.

It does add character, your all right.

I do really like that tarnished gold finish is pretty unique in itself.

Its just i want to know the history of it, im trying ever so hard. The 2nd hand shop i found it in said a guy just came in, a mysterious looking fellow, just asked how much they would give him for it, took the cash then walked out.

I love her, as soon as she's had all her electronics sorted, she should sing wonderfully.

strangely enough, she must have had a rough life, the pickups in it were all rusty and were messed volume wise, and the pots well, they were pretty dead.

She's getting some chrome Alumitone buckers and some lovely 500k pots to let her tones sing.

Im in love.

Guest icantbuyafender

put in a GOOD usa style toggle switch... not the enclosed kind!

to me the tarnished gold says "i can sing, and i can growl with the best of em."

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the color, I like it! Tell you what,

leave the pickguard OFF, and if anyone sees the outline and says

"What the....?", tell them it's an "air pickguard" from one of your air guitars.

Or, just send your obviously "imperfect" guitar to ME, and I'll send back

my beater Dean Vendetta XM (primer ugly-azz black from the factory), but

it PLAYS!!!!

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the color' date=' I like it! Tell you what,

leave the pickguard OFF, and if anyone sees the outline and says

"What the....?", tell them it's an "air pickguard" from one of your air guitars.

Or, just send your obviously "imperfect" guitar to ME, and I'll send back

my beater Dean Vendetta XM (primer ugly-azz black from the factory), but

it PLAYS!!!![/quote']

haha

however, i asked for some info from gibbo and this is want they sent back;

"The amount of guitars made/sold is not available, as this is seen as proprietary information and is only given out in case of limited editions."

so apparently even though the finish on my guitar is rare its not important apparently.

ive sent another email to gibbo, hopefully they'll tell me something more

Archived