Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Historic reissue tuners on epi goldtop.

EQ79

I just got an epi. 56 goldtop and wanted to know if anyone has put some gibson historic tuners on it and what was involved in doing so.any help would be great.

I haven't done it myself, but there can't be too much involved. Those are 2 screw kluson style aren't they? Should go right in the old mounting holes. Might need a little filler to make it tight...might not. I need to change out my Gib. L.P.'s tuning heads myself....Kluson style w/ 2 holes is what it has...I have some grover minis, and they'll work, but I don't want to have extra holes in the headstock...so I'm gonna go w/ some deluxes too-even though I know they aren't as good. My L.P. plays 5th fiddle really anyway-the klusons will be fine. I rank my Epi Wildkat, Gib SG, G&L ASAT, and modded Epi Sherri higher than the Paul-which is a perfect guitar other than the spent tuning machines...I rank my Paul higher than my modded Fender Tele, Gib L6S and JT 143 Jazz Box though...No accounting for taste, eh? LOL

Are the old machines broken? If you're just upgrading, not repairing-I'm thinking your stockers gear ratio is probably very close to the Gib historics you are looking at.

No the tuners are fine, just wanted to upgrade to something a little better and more fitting for the older look of the guitar.So i've done a little more research and found out that the bushings that come with the tuners are to small for the old grover holes but i found some kluson adapter bushings from wd music. Got those on order and we will see how it all comes together than.

Epi's have 10mm tuner holes and the historic series Klusons (keystone buttons) have press on bushings

that are 8mm, so the bushings won't stay in unless the holes are reduced in size.

There are a few ways to do this, gluing in wooden "rings" to reduce the holes,

or filling the holes with dowels and redrilling the dowels

for 8mm holes, not a trivial job or getting the adapter bushings to retrofit Kluson

style to Epis.

Archived