Gibson Brands Forums

Mod on an epi les paul ultra 2

aabd1478

I'm a newbie to this site. I just got an epi les paul ultra 2, my first les paul. It sounded great to me until a bunch of my friends who's been playing for a long time thought that it sucked hard (I don't know if they're jelous, but ..). The only fault I find on it is that the action is a bit too high, kinda hard on my little fingers. In case I want to mod it, what do you guys think the mod should be?

PS: In case u're wondering what idiot didn't test the guitar before buying it, I bought it online.

Just have a good shop do a set-up for you. Talk to the guy that does the work & tell him to adjust the action, pickup height , string height, neck adjustment & intonation.

Ask for #10 strings & always buy/use the same brand & gauge. I like D'addario XL's.

Don't spend on pickups yet.

I have an Ultra 2. When I bought it in a guitar shop, it needed to be set up.

I asked them to do this before I actually bought it, so I could tell if I really liked it or not.

After the set up it was a really nice guitar to play. They set it up to factory specs, which are still a little high for my taste, so I will do another set up myself.

Not having an opportunity to do that, I would suggest you get it setup before you do anything else.

After having played it for a while now, the only other thing I might do is change the bridge pickup.

Enjoy, and please post a picture.

Archived