Gibson Brands Forums

replacing tubes in valve jr.

First of all, I apologize if this has been asked a dozen times (and I suspect it has). I did a search, but this forum's search feature doesn't seem too robust. I also want to apologize in advance for the total newb-ness of this question:

OK. I'm needing to change tubes in my VJr. Combo. I'm going to replace the 12ax7 with a 5751 and simply replace the old EL84 with a new one. My understanding is that this is a job that can be performed by even the most mechanically challenged (that would be me). But.... before I delve into it, I need to know if I'm risking electrocution (I'm pretty uncomfortable and anxious around electricity). I'm assuming as long as I unplug the amp, I'm at little risk in doing a simple tube swap. Is that so? Is there some "stored" electricity in there somewhere that I need to be worried about? Anything I ought to not touch?

You should be fine just swapping out tubes ..... just be careful to align the pins with the socket correctly so as not to bend any of them when replacing. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the really dangerous stuff is inside the chassis - as long as you're unplugged, you should be fine - it's easy. The EL84 has a cylindrical retaining sleeve around it - you just turn it and little tabs/dimples/pimples/whatever on the sides of the sleeve (under the chassis metal) will align with 2 small cutouts in the chassis and will pop right up. The 12AX7 retainer is plain and simple.

Youll be fine.

What RSDx said. The hardfest time i had was getting the tolex to come unglued from each

other when i took the back off. The tube part was a breeze. I rubbed talc around the tolex

seam when i put it back together. I'm hoping that solves the sticky tolex problem.

Guest icantbuyafender
What RSDx said. The hardfest time i had was getting the tolex to come unglued from each

other when i took the back off. The tube part was a breeze. I rubbed talc around the tolex

seam when i put it back together. I'm hoping that solves the sticky tolex problem.

THANK YOU!!

Im not the only one who had this problem...

a friends combo had a loose fuse case and it needed replacing.

the thing that took the longest was getting the damn back off without damaging the tolex...

after all that stress and confusion was done, it was miller time.

Archived