Gibson Brands Forums

Easyish mods for a Sheraton II

caulkhead

As a relatively new Sheraton II owner, I found that I really liked the way the guitar looked and played

but I didn't like the muddy pick-ups, scratchy pots and the fact that the sucker wouldn't stay in tune.

I set out to make some easyish mods that would cure these problems without the expenses of getting

the guitar to a guitar tech. The best thing about these mods are that they are drop-in replacements

for the stock parts.

Grover Rotomatic 18:1 locking tuners – Straight replacement for stock tuners.

GFS Vintage 59 humbuckers, neck and bridge – Straight replacement for stock pick-ups.

Schaller strap locks – Straight replacement for existing strap points but the screw is slightly bigger and

needs to be screw'd in a bit further.

Graph Tech Supercharger kit for Epiphones with 6mm posts comprising a ResoMax Tune-O-Matic bridge

with Graph Tech string saver saddles and a black Tusq XL prescision slotted nut. –

I used their bushings and posts as supplied in the kit and the bridge was then a simple drop in.

The nut fitted straight in with no need for sanding.

Wiring assembly by our very own TWANG!! – Many thanks dude, I could not have done this without your very kind help and support!

A brilliant pre-wired kit with mini pots, treble bleed caps, 3 way switch and input jack.

The fitting of these types of assemblies has been well covered on here.

It’s not ‘easy’ (in fact be prepared to curse!) but it is do-able if you work calmly and learn from your mistakes.

Black paint spray on the pick guard to off set the black nut, switch tip and saddles.

The sonic difference is really worth it, it doesn't change the nature of the guitar,

just lets the real tone that was always in the guitar 'breathe out'. There's tons of clarity and sustain and the

real nature of the guitar is now not shrouded by the cheapy bits. Doesn't look too bad either!!

As a final note my guitar is a 2004 Unsung built Sheraton II, these parts fit this guitar but that's not to say

that they'll fit all Sheratons.

Happy modding!!

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

Grover Rotomatic 18:1 locking tuners – Straight replacement for stock tuners.

GFS Vintage 59 humbuckers' date=' neck and bridge – Straight replacement for stock pick-ups.

Schaller strap locks – Straight replacement for existing strap points but the screw is slightly bigger and

needs to be screw'd in a bit further.[/quote']

Wow these three are the same mods I want to make on my Dot, although I am torn between the GFS Vintage 59s and the Seymour Duncan 59s.

What really frightens me is the PUPs mod and then, of course, upgrading the pots. I've watched a few videos on how to do it, with soldering, dental floss, or other wires, etc.](*,)8-[

But, anyway, your baby looks great, and I'm sure it sounds great.

BTW, what I find on my Dot is that the highs are not very clear on either pickup. Did switching out to the GFS 59s help that?

Archived