Gibson Brands Forums

Daddy-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O

Hi,

Sorry for the "non-epi"-ralted topic but, I need to ask friendly, expierienced people...

I have a Daddy-O overdrive... some might say it looks good but sounds crap, it sounds good but looks crap, or sounds crap and looks crap...

I like both the looks and the sound (crunchy, punchy, like "Satisfation" by the stones...) the only issue I have with this pedal is that it reduces the overall volume when it's plugged in between Amp and Guitar and it's turned off... I don't know if it has a true bypass but that's kind of annoying having to turn the amp up (making other pedaly sound incredibly loud)...

Does anyone have experience with this pedal? Anyone know any modification to reduce that volume reduction...

Sincerely

JM

I own the Dano Daddy-O. There was a time when I loved it too. I guess the crunch and overall tone never bugged me, but the noise it created got tiresome. I have since moved on to the Visual Sound J & H and couldn't be happier.

I suppose that someone that knew what they were doing could mod the pedal to make the corrections you're talking about, but I'm not that guy.

Sorry I can't be of greater assistance. Good luck.

Guest icantbuyafender

good question... i picked one up a long while back and am satisfied with it.

the crunch and overall tones rival a boss overdrive, while its abundance of tone controls lets you dial in what you like.

i dont use it as an only pedal, i have a seperate pedal that i stomp on to give "umph" for a lead.

the daddy-o takes appreciation to truely enjoy.

but that pseudo-true-bypass problem is a pain in the @$$

it's kind of strange, but when I have the volume and gain on full there is no loss in tone when switched off but the problem is, that it's f00king loud when it's on and I don't want any heads to explode :D

So I'm thinkin' about modding it, 'cause it's just such a truly good-looking and sounding pedal. Alot of people just don't appreciate it cause its noisy and so on, but that's the whole concept of the pedal, not to be perfect!

Perfection is just an illusion that especially musicians have but I'm not a part of that thinking (I don't own 5 Rickenbacker guitars ---> unlike some of the Ric forum) I just try to make the best out of what I have and that's it...

Does anyone know a famous mod for the daddy-o or do I need to go to the guy and tell him to intall true bypass..?

JM

when I have the volume and gain on full there is no loss in tone when switched off

Something's not right with your pedal. Switched "off," turning knobs shouldn't have any affect over anything. I'd suspect that there's something not right with your switch, which is probably electronic. Time to look into true bypass switching.

Does anyone know a famous mod for the daddy-o

I believe it's similar to a tube screamer, so standard fare mods that make a difference in that circuit would probably apply to this one. Different clipping diodes, different op amps, better grade caps, some slight tone and gain modifications. That said, if it's made with SMD components, what you've got is what you've got.

Quote:

"IMPORTANT - Danelectro has changed the circuit of the Daddy-O. They have switched to using smd components. Please note that my mods will NOT work with this new design and I will not be offering a mod for it. The tiny smd components are next to impossible to mod or replace. If you are buying a mod for your Daddy-O open your pedal up and make sure it looks like this. If it does my mods will work with your pedal"

DaddyO.jpg

AND MINE

DSC02359.jpg

Anyone see a difference or anything funny??

JM

Archived