Gibson Brands Forums

New Sheraton II Chinese model - what are the differences???

Paulocon

Hi all, just another quick question - even though this topic has probably been covered up-teen times before. But I now have my brand spanking new 'Sheraton II' in VS. It looks great and sounds great.....but doesn't stay in tune for very long. Also it has a poor set up, action is high and the strings appear to be cheap and '9' gauge etc.

Therefore can anyone define the differences between the newer Chinese models and the older Korean models.

I do intend to get a proper set-up done on the guitar and so hopefully this may correct some of the factory defects - but has anyone else suffered problems with their new 'Chinese models' from Epiphone.

Well, obvious differences are the necks. The Korean versions have a 5 piece vertical laminated neck

(the entire length, including heel and headstock. The Chinese (I've seen) have a 3 piece neck. The

long (shaft) being one piece, the headstock added at one end, and the "heel" added at the other...

making 3 pieces. With yours, it may not be that obvious, as they sometimes paint the backs of the

headstocks black and the heels as well...on VS models. But, if you get a chance to look at the Chinese

version in "Natural," the neck construction and joints will be obvious. Not BAD, just visable.

The upper body "horns" are a bit more like "Gibson" in the Chinese, and less

Generic, as the Korean models tended to be. You may prefer one or the other...depends on personal

tastes. I haven't been able to look inside the newer Chinese models, so I can't say how they differ

in construction (if at all), from the Korean versions. Maybe someone else here, that has one, or both,

can tell you more, about that? The only "Chinese" Epi I own, is the Riviera P-93LE, which I really like,

both for looks, and Tone! Excellent playability, too, once I got it adjusted to MY preferences. It was

shipped with a decent "set-up," but I altered it a bit, for "me!" All my other Epi's are Korean (1), Japanese (1),

or USA (2)!

And, Yes...a "proper setup" will make a world of difference, no doubt. Tuning issues, are usally the "nut," and

NOT the tuners. Some replace the nuts, others just modify and/or "Lube" them, with powered graphite...pencil

lead. If you hear a "pinging noise," or the strings have a resistant jerk, when tuning, they're binding in the nut

slots. The person that does the "set-up" for you, will usually address that, as well.

Cheers,

CB

Archived