Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rod adjustment Epi Jr

SlagJones

Well got a used Epi Jr and tried to adjust the truss rod to lower the relief a little bit. I turned it clockwise and turned it maybe 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn until it wouldn't turn anymore. I didn't force it too much but it feels pretty snug and moderate force won't make it turn any further. I tried turning it the other way and it turned maybe 3/4 to a full turn counter clockwise before it felt like it was spinning pretty loose and free. I tightened it back up and it has been a couple of days and I don't see much change in the relief.

Is their a problem with the truss rod? Is the neck just stuck the way it is?

The only things that Immediately caome to mind are: It's either RUSTED as hell

below the T.Rod nut and needs lube, or it's cross threaded? May have to completely

back out and remove nut to verify. Either way, as it is, you can't make it useable, so

take the nut off and look. maybe luck out, maybe just have bad mfr neck?

The only things that Immediately caome to mind are: It's either RUSTED as hell

below the T.Rod nut and needs lube' date=' or it's cross threaded? May have to completely

back out and remove nut to verify. Either way, as it is, you can't make it useable, so

take the nut off and look. maybe luck out, maybe just have bad mfr neck?[/quote']

I think it is from 1997 and doesn't look like it was treated all that well. Maybe rusted. If it's cross threaded, it is pretty much DOA? Cross threaded is like the threads changed lanes and is now trying to travel in the wrong thread alignment?

So I need to unscrew the TR counter clockwise until it comes all the way out. The nut would be near where the neck connects to the body so I would need to unbolt the neck?

Archived