Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Coroner

Hello guys! First of all, i hope this isn't a very stupid question . I want to get an Epi Les Paul, but i'm not exactly sure about what model i should get. I really like the black Les Paul Custom, and from what i know this has the thickest body and thinnest neck in the epiphone les paul line-up, plus that being slightly higher priced that the standards the quality should be higher. I could be wrong. What are your opinions?

Well, by nature, when it comes to Gibson/Epiphone solid-bodies I'm a SG and Firebird man through and through. I've never actually owned a Les Paul in nearly 25 years of playing guitar (although I've played them many times).

But those ebony customs are beautiful, aren't they?

So...are you thinking regular LP Custom:

EE080501462-front-l.jpg

Or Black Beauty?

EE080502481-front-l.jpg

Either way, I'm sure you'll end up with a great guitar. Good luck with your purchase.

Well' date=' by nature, when it comes to Gibson/Epiphone solid-bodies I'm a SG and Firebird man through and through. I've never actually owned a Les Paul in nearly 25 years of playing guitar (although I've played them many times).[/quote']

(A brief tangent here...)

As the French say, "Each to his tastes." I have always been an SG guy myself--I never understood the appeal of Les Pauls. It just seemed that Gibson cranked 'em out because they sold. And there are so many models of them, but how much can you really change that's significant? And on top of that, just because EVERYONE lusted after them seemed to make them a bit LESS attractive. Maybe I'm just a contrarian by nature. So I have gravitated to SG's and thin-line hollow bodies.

Back on subject, the Epiphone Worn G-400 has nice, slim, fast neck and incredible upper-fingerboard access. Cheers. ;-)

(A brief tangent here...)

As the French say' date=' "Each to his tastes." I have always been an SG guy myself--I never understood the appeal of Les Pauls. It just seemed that Gibson cranked 'em out because they sold. And there are so many models of them, but how much can you really change that's significant? And on top of that, just because EVERYONE lusted after them seemed to make them a bit LESS attractive. Maybe I'm just a contrarian by nature. So I have gravitated to SG's and thin-line hollow bodies.

Back on subject, the Epiphone Worn G-400 has nice, slim, fast neck and incredible upper-fingerboard access. Cheers. ;-)[/quote']

But you have to remember that the Les Paul didn't sell at first. That's why we even have the SG. The originals weren't selling, so Gibson felt compelled to redesign it as the "Les Paul SG" after 1960. After a year of that it was known as only the "SG", and there were no more Les Pauls until 1968.

Archived