Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone G310 replacement parts?

tskl

What grover rotomatic (locking or non locking) tuners should be used on this guitar ' date='What replacement pickups (open coil) & can anybody tell me about

Godwood and Crossroad pickups?

thank you[/quote']

To answer this question fairly, I guess I need to ask you a question: are you so in love with this guitar that you would rather spend the money on the upgrades, as opposed to just buying an Epiphone G-400? With the G-400 you get (as stock) a set neck and Grover tuners (and also the Epiphone Alnico V humbuckers, which are actually pretty nice - but of course you can always upgrade).

Epiphone Vintage G-400 ($299):

473219.jpg

Epiphone G-400 ($349):

559475.jpg

Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400 ($399)

419612.jpg

If you do want to upgrade your G-310 then fair play to you!

The Grover Rotomatics are great tuners. I guess either the full-size 18:1 would do you just fine...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Full-size_Rotomatics.html

...but to the best of my knowledge, you will have to route the existing holes in your headstock.

Actually, we had a thread about this subject a while ago. Perhaps you can find useful info there:

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=11780

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Goodwood or Crossroad pickups, but having just Googled "Goodwood pick-ups," I found this link: http://www.musicianshotline.com/archive/reviews/wcr_goodwood.htm

They seem to be boutique-grade PAF style humbuckers. $325 per set is a hell of an investment in a G-310, if you don't mind my saying so! I think you could probably achieve similar results for less money. Seymour-Duncan '59s are good (and expensive) pick-ups, but a set will still run you a lot cheaper than those Goodwoods.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage/

Thanks for your input,

I thought about it and decided to just go ahead and buy the guitar I really wanted in the first place, so I bought a Gibson SG Special Faded -Worn Brown, and say to hell with the upgrades.

thanks again

Thanks for your input' date='

I thought about it and decided to just go ahead and buy the guitar I really wanted in the first place, so I bought a Gibson SG Special Faded -Worn Brown, and say to hell with the upgrades.

thanks again[/quote']

Your choice is excellent. I purchased an EPI LP Studio last year w/ open coil HB's,

replaced with set of chrome pups from G-400, very noticeable difference. Not as muddy.

When I pulled the pups from the Studio, they said "Bridge from LP Classic, Neck From

LP Classic" My LP CLassic has the SAME pups, but not muddy at all. Guess it's all about the

wood, eh? Same pups, different wood, different sound. Plus upgrade of tuners to Gibson

tulip style. NOW I'm happy with the look and sound.....Says "Now I'm Complete" to me.

Before upgrade:

100_0182.jpg

After upgrade:

100_0206.jpg

Pup Detail:

100_0205.jpg

Tuner Detail: (Actually, could use High-Gloss finish on headstock..)

100_0203.jpg

Guest icantbuyafender
Thanks for your input' date='

thanks again[/quote']

congratulations!

lol

so hows the gibby treatin you?#-o

Guest icantbuyafender

Your choice is excellent. I purchased an EPI LP Studio last year w/ open coil HB's' date='

replaced with set of chrome pups from G-400, very noticeable difference. Not as muddy.

When I pulled the pups from the Studio, they said "Bridge from LP Classic, Neck From

LP Classic" My LP CLassic has the SAME pups, but not muddy at all. Guess it's all about the

wood, eh? Same pups, different wood, different sound. Plus upgrade of tuners to Gibson

tulip style. NOW I'm happy with the look and sound.....Says "Now I'm Complete" to me.

Before upgrade:

[img'][/img]100_0182.jpg

were those the immitation grover-like tuning keys that require you to buy conversion bushing when you want to put the tulip style kluson tuners on them?

i have a weakness for those tulip styles too.

the finish on your guitar is AMAZING

I'm looking to upgrade my G-310 as well. I actually have it listed for sale online at the moment, but if it doesn't sell after I've relisted it a few times, I'll keep it. It's a good guitar, intonates right, nice action, and beautiful neck. Just needs some better pickups, and tuners.

I've never been able to get a definitive answer on which tuners will fit without having to drill new screw holes in the back of the headstock. I really don't want to drill new holes. If I had bought it as a used guitar, I'd be less concerned, but I bought it new, and want to preserve it as much as possible. However, from my measurements, I think these Grover Midsize Rotomatics will fit. I can't be 100% sure though, maybe someone can confirm this? If they don't fit, then they must be pretty damn close, and would probably cover the old screw holes, which is sort of half ok I guess.

Why upgrade the G-310? Well for me, it's one of only two brand new guitars I own, and it was half the price of a new G400. In order to get a G400 I'd probably have to buy used and although it offers more in terms of having a set neck, better tuners, and better pickups, it's kind of a step backwards going from a new guitar, to a used one.

were those the immitation grover-like tuning keys that require you to buy conversion bushing when you want to put the tulip style kluson tuners on them?

i have a weakness for those tulip styles too.

the finish on your guitar is AMAZING

I snagged 2 sets of "Gibson Deluxe" Tulip tuners from ebay at $35.00/set from

The STRATOsphere ebay store' date=' won bid on both. LOVE the look of the tuners, of course

still have the D-tip Grovers. The Gibson Deluxe tuners DO require that you drill 2 new holes

in headstock as original grover hole won't line up/match. ORIGINAL Grover hole will be

covered by new tuner body. I filled it in with drop of wood glue and toothpick gently

tapped in, then trimmed flush and dabbed with "Old English" on q-tip

to match color. No fear regarding drilling, use bit SMALLER than screw size, depth shorter

than length. The tuners were straight Drop-in, just gently tighten bushing nut to stabilize

tuner/adjust straightness/position before putting bit to wood.

[img'][/img]BOp3urwBWkKGrHgoH-EEjlLlyV66BJvumuQ.jpg

100_0203.jpg

Thanks regarding the finish, just stock "worn brown". I've NEVER used polish on it, just a

chamios like what you'd buy at autozone (2 sq. ft). Same with all guitars I have. (I believe we've had

this discussion within the last couple of weeks!)

Archived