Gibson Brands Forums

The EDGE sound...

Hey guys, wanted to ask ya'll for recommendations for getting that U2 sound. I really feel like rawkin' out to the Streets have no name...

I currently have Boss DD-3 am struggling to nail that distinctive Edge sound. Does anyone have any experience with good delay pedals to achieve this sound? Also, what else does he use as far as pedals....

:-k

LOL...looks like you just stuck with me again #-o ... so far anyways.

Anyhow...never used a Nova Delay, but do have the DL4 and just love it. Actually come to think of it. I have had it since Line 6 first came out with them.

One of the benefits for me with the DL4, other than a vast selection of decent delays IMO, is I can switch from 3 presets on the fly by just stepping on the switches...no scrolling or moving up or down type thing. Kind of like having 3 seperate delay pedals.

This was brought up on another forum a few days ago. Where the OP was looking for a substitute to the DL4 that could do that. So far no luck in finding one....not in that price range anyhow.

The down side is it's foot print....pretty space consuming. If you use a lot of pedals it might get tight. I don't use that many so no big issues for me.

At any rate I'm very pleased with mine, but then again as I said I've never tried the TC delay.

Don't put much stock in that Amnesta site. The theory there is way overblown. The only time Edge uses two delays is to just flesh out the sound a bit. The core riff can always be had with one delay. The key is in the way the riff is played. The core of Edge's classic sound (i.e., Joshua Tree era) is a modulated delay played into a slightly overdriven AC30. Alot of the characteristic ching comes from the use of a Herdim pick (the blue one) turned around backwards so that the textured grip strikes the strings. In the Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree eras Edge used mostly the Korg SDD-3000 for his delay. It provides a boost into the AC30 that gives that signature sound. He also used a TC electronics 2290 but the Korg was his favorite goto delay for tone. (It is not midi controllable so the TC was favored for live use.) Both of these are discontinued and expensive on the used market. You can get a Korg SDD-1000 or -2000 for similar tone at lower prices. As far as new delays go alot of people seem to prefer the Boss DD-20. The DL4 hasn't been favored too much for Edge tone, but the delay in the new M13 was apparently re-worked with Edge's tone specifically in mind.

There is a Yahoo group called U2_Recording that is a bunch of guitarists sharing what they know of Edge's technique, gear, and sound. Go join U2_Recording and pose the question as to which delay and you'll get alot of feedback. Also, search Youtube for tutorials and clips from Mick3b1g, U2GuitarTutorials, Sherm911, and Ralgh.

Link to U2_Recording

Archived