Gibson Brands Forums

Goldtop Blem worth it?

jackacc

I found a new goldtop blem at a small guitar shop in my area for $400. It is stamped USED on the back. The only thing making it a blem (from what I can see) is the paint. There is just a little spot on the face of the guitar that is yellowed out more than actual gold. It does not look great, but it it not the end of the world. And it plays excellent. Is $400 a good deal on that?

Thanks!

Let me put it this way. When you bump the finish and leave a mark for the first time' date=' it won't feel so bad. Get it while the iron is hot.

Goldtop isn't for me, but if you like that finish, get it while the getting is good.[/quote']

Yeah, I hear you there. I hate the first mark I leave on my guitars, no matter how trivial it is... it hurts.

What color is that guitar (I am assuming it is your guitar) in your avatar Jeffery? That looks beautiful.

The store has the Goldtop and an SG Prophecy with EMG's in an insane black/gray color for $450 (also a blem) so I am torn! Not that I have all the $ right now... still have to sell a couple pedals and such...

Yeah' date=' I hear you there. I hate the first mark I leave on my guitars, no matter how trivial it is... it hurts.

What color is that guitar (I am assuming it is your guitar) in your avatar Jeffery? That looks beautiful.

The store has the Goldtop and an SG Prophecy with EMG's in an insane black/gray color for $450 (also a blem) so I am torn! Not that I have all the $ right now... still have to sell a couple pedals and such...[/quote']

Blueburst. Fairly dark stain, so it doesn't knock your eye out.

5.jpg

As the other people here have noted it's not a matter of "if you get nick/ding/mark etc." it is WHEN you get it. The SOUND will remain longer than anything else. Just so you know, the gold-tops are now discontinued, with those prophecy things being fairly new. I'm personally GASing for a goldtop but I'll try not to let it hinder my advice. I mean it really comes down to the sound bottom line. For the difference between the two only being $50, that last $50 should bear no impact on your decision. What you really need to asses is do you need a p90-equipped les paul or an EMG-packed SG. Two VERY different (but very good) guitars. It sounds like you like the looks of them both so that's almost a non-factor as well. Go with the one that fits your style more and will be the one you still play 5 days a week 15 years from now.

Thanks for the input, I definitely want to play the goldtop. I played the SG last week for a little while and it was sweet. Not like anything I am used to though. Very rockin, not exactly versatile, but man that thing screamed. I will have to take out that goldtop and see how it sounds this weekend.

Thanks for the input' date=' I definitely want to play the goldtop. I played the SG last week for a little while and it was sweet. Not like anything I am used to though. Very rockin, not exactly versatile, but man that thing screamed. I will have to take out that goldtop and see how it sounds this weekend.[/quote']

If you're really serious about it, I would get the goldtop because from what I've heard they're hard to come by these days.

GC

If you're really serious about it' date=' I would get the goldtop because from what I've heard they're hard to come by these days.

GC[/quote']

Get the goldtop! They are discontinued so thats going to make them alot harder to get. Don't let this one be "the one that got away!"

Guest icantbuyafender

yeah the goldtop man....

they are gems.

the sound is amazing and well, a prophecy is easy to find.

get it while the gettin's hot ... cause in a while the "gettin" is gonna be gone for good.

Archived