Gibson Brands Forums

valve standard problem

I bought a valve standard a couple of years ago for 3 reasons: all tube, great tone, and price. There is a very annoying sound that I get which sounds like a vibration of glass against metal. I have taken the amp to two different techs and have yet to find the problem. I do not believe the sound to be originating from the tubes, as they have been replaced. The sound begins once the tubes have had time to warm up. It is very noticible at a higher volume, but is there all the time. The first tech thought it to be the speaker was about to go, but I plugged in another cabinet and still the vibration sound is there. It seems to be worse when playing certain notes, like it is a resonant frequency. The second tech found some loose connections and faulty soldering and told me he had fixed the problem, but when I got the amp home the problem is still there. I do not belive it is the heat shields holding the tubes in place. I thought maybe the springs were vibrating against the tubes. It also looks like the holes in the metal frame do not quite line up with the socket where the tubes plug in, but they do not appear to be touching any metal. I suppose they could once the tubes heat up and expand. I don't know what to do! I will soon have more money in repairs and diagnosis than I payed for the amp......HELP...I really like this amp!

I had a problem just like that a couple of years ago with a Kustom Tube 12. I replaced the speaker and tubes and whatnot. Turned out the amp part of the combo wasn't aligned properly with the cabinet so there was some resonance there. Fixed it by screwing the amp on differently.

What you can try is to take out the amp part out of the cab and play it, see if there's any difference. You can also remove the heat shields holding the tubes, they won't fall out. Also check that the input connection isn't loose.

lemme kno' how it goes.

I had a similar sounding problem with my VJr when I got it (used) ..... replaced the tubes (guy sent it with old Sovteks) .....the local mom'n'pop shop sold me a Sovtek EL84 and a Fender branded (JJ, I think)12AX7 (ECC83S, or whatever) .... still "rattled" - the Fender tube was microphonic (exchanged it), turns out it was the old AND new Sovtek EL84 .... ordered 2 JJs online, problem solved. Hope you get to the bottom of it, it was annoying !!!

Similarly, mine started after amp warmed up, I took the chassis out and it still did it, removed the tube retainers, still did it...was the tube itself. I kept the 2 store-bought tubes as emergency backup, but hope I never really have to use the Sovtek, as it was a major annoyance, to say the least. I love the lil amp, now that it isn't noisy (well, isn't noisier than a VJr normally is:-k )

Good luck.

Archived