Gibson Brands Forums

do you think this would be a good idea?

Guitar Chico

Ok so I've decided that I should probably change the pickups on both my guitars. The strat copy I already know that I'm probably gonna replace the pu's with some noiseless pickups. On the G400, I think I'm gonna put a dimarzio DP100 in the bridge position and a seymour duncan SH-5 in the neck position. Don't have too much experience with those pu's so I was wondering if that would be a good combo.

GC

Pickup changed are in most cases a good thing, If your not in a hurry look around at other companies, I found a company called Rio Grande Pickups... There great sounding pickups.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqHwlRl4YdY Here is a example of some of there strat pickups.

here is a example of just one of there humbucker pickups

Pickup changed are in most cases a good thing' date=' If your not in a hurry look around at other companies, I found a company called Rio Grande Pickups... There great sounding pickups.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqHwlRl4YdY Here is a example of some of there strat pickups.

here is a example of just one of there humbucker pickups[/quote']

Thanks! That humbucker has a nice crunch to it. I'm not crazy about the strat pickups though. Just not really my thing. I might consider getting some of those hb's... Do you know how much they cost because I don't want anything too expensive.

GC

Edit: Now that I think about it, those might not be the pickups for me... I play more metal and I like to get the gain pretty high up at times. Any suggestions?

In my very humble opinion noiseless pickups never sound like a strat should. They always lose tone, harmonics, possibly dynamic range and sensitivity though this might not technically be the case. They just sound flatter, like there's less life in them. Imagine going out with Salma Hayek then having to replace her with a doll that kind of looked like her. =D>

On the G400' date=' I think I'm gonna put a dimarzio DP100 in the bridge position and a seymour duncan SH-5 in the neck position. Don't have too much experience with those pu's so I was wondering if that would be a good combo.

[/quote']

Both the SH-5 Custom and Dimarzio DP100 Super Distortion are hi-output bridge PUs. I wouldn't recommend them in the neck position.

You may like the SH 11 Custom Custom or SH 14 Custom 5 as well, which are the same SH5 coils albeit with different magnets.

Combine it with a SH 59 or Pearly Gates in the neck and you're set.

Both the SH-5 Custom and Dimarzio DP100 Super Distortion are hi-output bridge PUs. I wouldn't recommend them in the neck position.

You may like the SH 11 Custom Custom or SH 14 Custom 5 as well' date=' which are the same SH5 coils albeit with different magnets.

Combine it with a SH 59 or Pearly Gates in the neck and you're set.[/quote']

I knew the dimarzio was a bridge pu but I didn't know the SH 5 was... Well you learn something knew everyday. Would the SH 59 be the SH 1 '59? If so that might just be the right combo...

GC

Hey Guitar Chico,

Don't forget the other most important half of the equation!!!!! You should really upgrade/replace the stock ceramic caps with some new real paper in oil capacitors. I believe the G400's come with Alpha full size pots which should be fine. BUT, new paper in oil caps are a great and inexpensive upgrade for any stock guitar.

try checking out ToneMojo.com for a couple different options.

or

RSGuitarworks.com

I got some Vitamin Q PIO caps for my Gibson and even though the guitar comes stock with Burstbucker Pro pickups, the new caps brought the guitar to life!!! Clearer tone, and completely usable controls.

I have a complet RS Guitarworks wiring/electronics upgrade kit in my LP Jr., and its just an awesome difference.

If you're going to do the pickups, also get some PIO caps!!!! You'll be glad you did!!!!

Also, it seems the "hot-rodded humber set" of the Seymour Duncan JB/bridge and Jazz/neck is very very popular. A 59' in the neck with the JB is great to go with as well. A Custom in the bridge is very similar in output to the JB, but with a little more low and hi end, great for modern heavy tones.

I knew the dimarzio was a bridge pu but I didn't know the SH 5 was... Well you learn something knew everyday. Would the SH 59 be the SH 1 '59? If so that might just be the right combo...

GC

The SH 5 is even a tad hotter than the DP100. And yes.. SH-1 '59.

Thanks for all the help guys! I think I'm gonna do the SH-1 59 in the neck and an SH-5 in the bridge. I'm probably gonna take it to a luthier to do it because I've never done it before and I don't want to mess up my guitar. BTW I've only been playing a year so don't get on my case about having never changed a pickup lol.

GC

Archived