Gibson Brands Forums

Help confirming parts to upgrade Epi Dot?

jazzgirl

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if you can help me with confirming parts to upgrade an Epi Dot (EE serial number, Made in China 2008). I'd like to replace the stock hardware with drop in replacements. Will the following parts work to drop in without a lot of work? If not, can you provide a link to the best replacement part that's nice and cheap but like still a quality part? Based on previous posts, I've seen the following parts mentioned a lot, but there's like no part numbers or suppliers mentioned.

1. Gotoh Aluminum Stop Tailpiece, Part Number 5740-N

Will this part work as a drop in replacement?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_tailpieces/Gotoh_Aluminum_Stop_Tailpiece.html

2. Gotoh Tune-O-Matic Bridge, Part Number 1511-N

Will this part work as a drop in replacement? I'm very confused since there's like 2 or three different bridges on the site. This is my best guess as the appropriate part.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/1/Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge_with_Studs_Bushings/Details.html#details

3. Grover Deluxe Keystones, Part Number 3754

Will these tuners cover the bottom hole left over from the original machines? How noticeable is the left over hole if it's still there?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Deluxe_Keystones.html

4. Does anyone have with experience with the GFS Classic II (Alnico II) pups for swing/classic/straight-up jazz, blues, and fusion on a semi-hollow like the Dot or Sheraton? I like the sound of the Kent Armstrong Custom hand-wound (not the Korean made) PAF, but it's way too expensive.

I'm primarily an acoustic player. I play a Korean Tokai LP but it's like way too heavy. I bought a Dot and it's like way huge, but I've survive since I like the fat neck. It's like my classical. My amps are a Fender Super Champ XD, Roland Cube 60 (JC Clean channel for jazz), and I have access to a Fender Twin (too heavy to carry for me). I hope this info is enough info to determine if the GFS pups will be an acceptable choice for not too much money.

Many thanks for any advice or suggestions you can provide! :D

Sue

Goto parts, Should be identical specs...PROVIDING you're getting the "Metric" versions.

Grover Deluxe, should also fit, the bottom hole (and with the addition of a new top hole, for that securing screw). I know

it works, going the other way...so, hopefully, going the way you want, will be nothing more than drilling new top screw holes.

Can't help you, with the pickups, I've never used GFS, but others here, have...and seem to really like them.

Sounds like, you've got a couple of nice amps, too! So, you should be in good shape, once you get your "mods" to your liking. (I know about the Twin Reverb's weight...I own one, too...LOL!)

Cheers, and good luck!

CB

Haven't tried the GFS Alnico 11's but frankly if they're anything like the Vintage 59's they're not much of an improvement over the stock Epi pups in my personal opinion. Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking GFS as their Mean 90's are spectacularly good at any price.

Could be worth looking out for a Gibson 57 reissue - can often be found on ebay for quite reasonable prices.

Archived