Gibson Brands Forums

help with fixing the action on les paul jr

sushi1239

i need help fixing my action on my les paul jr special

i get major twangish fret buzz on the top frets all strings because when i hold down the first fret the strings lightly rest on the second fret making it mute buzz thingy, my bridge is all the way flush the body and truss rod basically backed out and new strings. please help

I'd check the nut slot depth.

hold a string at third fret...

any string.

there should be a paper thin, hairs breadth of space between the bottom of that string and the first fret.

If there is NO clearance then part of your problem is the nut is cut too low.

If you fret at fret one and the string hits the second fret and makes noise.. raise the bridge a little bit..

remember to loosen the strings first.. detune.. then raise it... it's not good for them to force the bridge up with full tension on the strings.

You can only get the lowest action if everything is perfectly done.. and usually the fretwork on epis is very good, but not perfect by any stretch.

So raising the bridge a bit will help.

I like to set guitars up initially with the neck adjusted to straight and level.

always back off the truss rod before adjusting it forward.. that helps insure your threads are aligned.. when they sit in one position, the tension can sort of get the threads offset.. and then if you just adjust it clockwise you tend to force the threads along an incorrect path.

back it off a bit and then adjust forward.

When you get it as nice as you can with the neck straight. .then you'll know where the fret noise is..

if it's from 2nd fret up to the middle a bit... then the truss rod can be adjusted to give you some 'relief'.. that is a little bit of curve

in that area so that the action is a tick higher there...

and then readjust the bridge and that should do it.

Some guitars will play ok with low nut slots.. so long as they don't buzz when played open.. but that hairs breadth can really make a difference

on others.

TWANG

Archived