Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone make your own pickguard?

lpfan

Has anyone ever made your own pickguards? If so, what did you make them out of? Post pics too please. I was thinking of making one for me Strat. I like the pearloid pickguards but I don't want to spend $30+ on one so I was wondering if there were some other unique ideas out there.

I make 'em all the time..

You can get the material from All Parts or WDmusic or Warmoth.

I'm making one in Bloodwood, right now.

Also, tr cover, pickup ring with Celtic cross icon, guard, pickup rings all of bloodwood.

It's just a question of tools and skill and patience.

The bloodwood, for example, is harder than the plastics.

Read at Warmoths site.. about materials. Good info there.

Formica was the first material I ever used. Really not a bad material either considering how tough it is and how many colors

and such you can find.

My first was a p bass guard I did .. twenty years ago.. it was a sort of off white with texture.. looked way good and nobody else had one like it.

You can make them out of brass or aluminum, too..

and probably many other things.

I sell 'em finished for less than the material will cost you. but I don't care if you want to do it yourself.

Guitars are great fun to work on and personalize and I'm just as glad to see people take a shot at things as I am to do it myself.

I'll be doing metal this summer.. and now that I've got a wood set done up, more wood, too.

There's a jillion tips I could give ya.. but I don't have time.

So if you start one, don't be shy, just ask, I'll help you out.

TWANG

I wanted to make a tortoise shell one for my Vintage White SG after seeing a tortoise shell one on a Strat in the same colour. I'm selling that guitar now, so not bothering. I still wonder what it might look like though, the Strat looked awesome.

You can get a pearloid one for your strat from GuitarFetish. I have one for mine and it's great quality, fits perfectly, and looks awesome. Only $17.95

http://store.guitarfetish.com/pefisssstpif.html

Archived