Gibson Brands Forums

grover problems...

has anyone has any issues with grover locking tuners?

i got my work done on my sherry / sg (4 new pups, pics to follow)

and my sherry had locking tuners put on by me, simple installation, although one of the screws wouldnt go in, had to use a gold one from the old stockm govers from the sherry. however, the tuning isnt locked at all.

i got it back from the shop and he's re-strung them both with 10s, i usually play 11s but i had 2 sets of ernie ball 10s so i got him put them on.

the g especially is out of tune a lot more than it used to be. i cant even play a song without it coming out of tune, unlike before. these strings have settled in now, they're weeks old but no improvement.

just dawned on me though, i think he's installed them like normal strings....

they're wrapped around the peg, once- should they be??

i had major tuning problems during a gig, which was annoying, and in the studio, and ive got more gigs coming up. i think im gonna start again with a new set of 11s.

anyone had any issue with locking tuners, or are they just probably strung up incorrectly?

...just dawned on me though' date=' i think he's installed them like normal strings....

they're wrapped around the peg, once- should they be??

i had major tuning problems during a gig, which was annoying, and in the studio, and ive got more gigs coming up. i think im gonna start again with a new set of 11s.

anyone had any issue with locking tuners, or are they just probably strung up incorrectly?

[/quote']

I haven't used the Grovers, but I have Sperzels on a few of my guitars. The string just goes straight through the hole and gets locked, no wraps around the post. I assume the Grovers would work the same way.

cheers, thats great. ive looked on youtube, nothing definite, but they dont look like they should be wraped around.

i wasnt there when he did it, but silly me, assuming a guitar technician would actually know what he was doing...

and i had to go back and have the neck p94 he installed re-soldered. dont think i'll go there in a hurry again.

Archived