Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP Custom Question

Herbie

I'm looking to buy the Epiphone Les Paul Custom soon and was wondering if there was anyway to get hold of one without the scratch plate / pic guard? I think the guitar looks better over all without it but removing it will leave a couple of holes in the body. There's always the option of removing it and putting the screws back in the holes painted the same color as the finish so they dont stand out too much but if it's possible to get them without it in the first place that would be even better. Thanks.

I don't think you can get them without it. Most people just remove them, the holes are so small that they're barely noticeable. And like you said, you can always get some screws that match the finish so you can't see them. A small price to pay for what is a fantastic guitar. I have an LP Custom myself and it's fantastic. Very solid, and quite heavy, but that's why it sustains so well. It really does wail. Sounds very strong and ballsy, sometimes with a touch too much bass because of that solidity I was talking about, but hey I can live with that. It also has one of the thinner neck profiles of the LP range, so it's gorgeous to play as well.

^ Don't all Gibsons come sans pickguard? But they're included with the guitar, if you want it, you gotta drill the holes and fit it yourself. Was that not the case with your Gibson Custom?

^ Don't all Gibsons come sans pickguard? But they're included with the guitar' date=' if you want it, you gotta drill the holes and fit it yourself. Was that not the case with your Gibson Custom?[/quote']

I had heard that. But what's the deal with the Standards? My 2007 Gibson LP Standard didn't come with a pickguard either. That was how I wanted it so it's fine but it was months later that I read that Custom Shop guitars were coming with the pickguards separate.

Both my LP custom and my Goldtop came with pickguards installed. My Gibson Studio also came with the pickguard installed.

My fear without the pickguard is finish scratches. I suspect that after years of playing you would end up installing one to cover up the pick scratches that accumulate. It's inevitable if you are prone to the Who/Pete Townshend power chord style.

Something I've never seen is a CLEAR pickguard. I would consider changing mine to clear if it were available.

Archived