Gibson Brands Forums

I am in love with my guitar, again.

Spent the best part of the day with my guitar. Setting it up. Truss rod adjustment, bridge height, pickkup height, intonation, new stings, whew!! Oh yeah, and I put on a set of Grover Rotomatics. They didn't fit my China made Dot, so I had to do the old toothpick-fill-with-glue-drill-new-holes routine. I have lowered the action and put lighter strings on her. Man I love this guitar. Just thought I'd share. My amp is being serviced, so I thought I'd have my axe ready for it when that comes around next weekend. What a great day. I almost forgot to eat!

I agree. A good setup makes a guitar feel new again.

It's weird how they go out of whack so slowly, you don't really

even notice.

I recently set up 3 of my friends guitars, and they were thrilled.

One guy said he was ready to sell, but not after the setup.

Yep. A good setup makes or breaks a guitar. For so many years I liked a high action with heavy strings, ala SRV. I don't play as much as I used to so time to lower the action and go with the medium lights XL. I straightened the neck out flat as well. I have a few buzzers around the 15th fret 5th string, but we'll see how she is in the mornin'. Overall, I'm very pleased. Half the fun was doing it, half the fun was playin' it. okay, more that half was playin' it, but who's counting. What a nice day with my Dot. All I have is my son's Line 6. When my '65 Gibby amp comes back from my tech next Saturday I'll be in Heaven on Earth.

Not to mention each individual pole piece on my new Phat Cats are positioned perfectly to each string now. Time well spent!!

Archived