Gibson Brands Forums

peter green mod

Rickstar123

hi i dont know if this has been covered or not but here goes anyway

i have a epi black beauty and i was thinking about what it would sound like with the petergreen (out of phase) mod. and also how i would go about doing it. Ive heard about flipping the magnet in the pick up but i dont want to take my pickup apart just incase i break it. Ive also heard about wireing it up but i am unsure how to do it. Could someone point me in the right direction please

Well, here's the thing. You can get the same effect by reversing the wires from the neck pickup, but, when you do that the 'shield' wire becomes the signal wire which means it will be a lot noisier. This is why you want to do it by reversing the magnet; since you aren't flipping the wires at this point the shielding remains intact.

So.

Flip the wires around (at the volume control) to get an idea if you like the out-of-phase sound or not. If you do and can live with the extra noise, Bob's your uncle. Otherwise, unflip the wires and take the guitar to a tech and have him reverse the magnet for you.

Frankly I wouldn't bother. As you're in England it would be easier to save up and buy a Vintage V100MRPGM, more commonly known as a "Lemon Drop". You can pick these up for around £250.00 and, as long as you can live with the less than convincing relic finish, you'll have a great guitar with that Peter Green sound built in. The shape is a little different to a regular Les Paul but by strange coincidence it does actually resemble the Les Paul Florentine cutaway model. I would suggest that you look here http://www.jhs.co.uk/reviews/G&B%20DEC%20(V100MRPGM).pdf for more info/review.

Archived