Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V help

I've had a b stock 58 reissue for about a year now and I don't play it as much as my other guitars. It has new tuners and a couple hardware upgrades, but also a few scratches in the clear coat.

There's two things I'm thinking of doing:

1. Selling it.

2. Modding it to hell.

If I sold it, and used epiphone V's go for $400 in my area, how much do you think I can get for it since it's B stock?

If I mod it, what mods would be cool with a V if I'm not worried about resale value?

Thanks in advance!

Also, is there any way to fix a scratch that's in the clear coat?

Mods I'm thinking about:

- Getting a new pick guard and putting a P90 in the neck

- Refinishing the body, dying the wood black, then applying an oil finish

- Direct mounting the pickups

- All black hardware

- ???

My other guitars are les paul models, so it's cool having something more metal. And there's no logo on the headstock. But it just doesn't feel like it's really mine right now.... I need to rip it apart and put it back together again.

The question is, what's the diff between a used 'B' stock and a regular used model? Unless it has been physically marked as such, say with a '2ND' imprint, I'd say nothing. In a nutshell, usually, all the issues that made it a 'B' stock unit can be explained away by the fact that the guitar is 'used'. So go for the gusto. However if it is stamped '2ND' you'll have to take a hit on the price. BTW double-check the new price on a '58 V; it's possible that they have jumped somewhat and this will affect the 'used' prices too.

Depending on the depth, scratches in the clear coat can probably be sanded and polished out.

As to refinishing the body and dyeing the wood black, well... you have to sand pretty deep because you need to remove all fillers if you want the stain to penetrate. Unfortunately that kind of attention will most likely cut through the Korina veneer in places, exposing the Philippine mahogany core wood... at which point you'll pretty much have no choice but to remove the veneer completely. Refinishing veneered guitars is not a simple task, especially when they have been encapsulated in polyester which requires draconian measures to remove (polyester is impervious to paint strippers).

As to refinishing the body and dyeing the wood black' date=' well... you have to sand pretty deep because you need to remove all fillers if you want the stain to penetrate. Unfortunately that kind of attention will most likely cut through the Korina veneer in places, exposing the Philippine mahogany core wood... at which point you'll pretty much have no choice but to remove the veneer completely. Refinishing veneered guitars is not a simple task, especially when they have been encapsulated in polyester which requires draconian measures to remove (polyester is impervious to paint strippers).[/quote']

Yeah man, I did that to an epi Explorer. It took a long time and I needed power tools, but I did sand off the korina veneer! I think the wood was alder though, not luan.

"SuperStrippa" works pretty well on poly... it doesn't get the base coat though, just the colour coat and clear coat.

Archived