Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Special GS CS to house 490R and 498T pups

tgifntx

Well,

I've finally put the "pup survey" to rest I 'spoze... Decided to

go with the 490r and 498t pups in hopes of livening this little

ol' SG up a bit. I really like the sound of these in particular and

wanted to ask of you guys if you could reccomend what direction

I should go regarding new caps and pots, If I could...

While I was checking around, I ran on this guy and thought it was kinda cool to go thru..?

http://www.digitaldarrell.com/guitar/Article-UpgradeLindaPickups.asp

At any rate, I sure appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks so much!

GS? I like Fender Tarts meself.

Wiring- I used Guitarpartsresource's kit (components, not pre-wired) in my Sheraton, good quality stuff. Here's the specs:

"WKSG-VNT

Vintage style wiring kit for SG®, ES® and similar thin top dual humbucker guitars. Features high quality components for the best in tone and durability. Kit includes: (4) CTS 500k split shaft volume pots, (1) Switchcraft 3-way right angle toggle switch with black and cream tips, Switchcraft 1/4" jack, 5 ft. metal braid wire, and (2) .022mfd Orange Drop tone capacitors. Most Epiphone® models have a slightly thicker top in the switch area and require deep threaded switch nut #EP 4923-001, sold separately."

Here's a link:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_kitsgibson.htm

On the Sheraton, I had to ream out the pot, jack and switch holes to 10mm for the bigger shafts. I don't know if this would be the same on an SG. Easy enough job though, I used a hand drill very carefully and it worked fine, the varnish chips easily but nothing that showed outside of the washers.

#-o

Gas, was this exasperation at my chipping varnish? I'll feign innocence with a whistling smiley :)

I try not to be a ham fisted moron though it does come naturally. On the Sheri finish I went extremely slowly with a very sharp drill bit which now I come to think of it I think I only held in my hand rather than putting it in the hand drill. The varnish chipping was very very minimal, just the very edge on one or two of the holes. Someone else may not even have mentioned it but I thought it worth a mention for the potential for bigger damage. A taper reamer or similar with sandpaper may have been a better choice of tool. On the word "tool", I'll make my escape. 8-[

Archived