Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson BFG hum when kill switch is on?

mrjones200x

When i put the kill switch to on my Gibson BFG hums/buzz and this dissapears when you touch something metal on the guitar (Bridge or strings ect.) I take it this is a grounding issue and was wondering if i would help if i changed one of the wires from the ill switch. There are 3 wires running to the kill switch, Red, White and a bare unshielded one. The unshielded one is onnected to a ground on one of the pots. These wires run from your std pickup selector switch position right through the chambered body to the control cavity. Would the unshielded one be getting interfierance from the pickups you think? I was think to put in a shielded wire to replace the unshielded one?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

The bare unshielded wire is the ground; it does not need to be shielded and in fact shielding a ground wire will have no effect. Most likely the bare wire is part of the cable's shield anyway. Theoretically, what the kill switch should be doing is breaking the output connection to the jack and shorting that connection to ground. Check that the ground wire from the switch hasn't come loose at the other end.

Cheers. Its at my techs now getting set up for first time with new strings and he's gonna have a look. When you touch that bare wire it stops the noise. He thinks it might be rubbing on the back of the pickup. He said he'll try another wire same route which is shielded to see. If no diff then leave alone. And check all other connections.

The buzz isnt to bad just there and would like it not there. Little things add up.

Oh and it always go's sharp after playing a while so think the nut is binding slightly so look at that too.

Archived