Gibson Brands Forums

Trade a modded VJr for a Galaxie 25

I've got a V3 VJR combo with all of the 'Basic Mods' done to it with some minor tweaking to taste. I've got a buddy that has been wanting a modded VJr and he's got a galaxie 25 that has a new hammond OT and some sort of hum reduction mod done to it. Does this sound like a pretty fair trade money wise? I'm looking for an amp with more cleans to it to run my POD XT Live through and I feel like the galaxie will do a better job of that than the VJr. Opinions on the galaxie in general?

A modded V3 and a POD and you still don't have enough clean? Whoa.

My stock V3s (w/valve upgrades only) and POD 2.0 have more clean than I want -- some settings are almost sterile.

I have to suggest using a 5751 pre-amp valve and after that maybe you need to change to a clean-voiced speaker/cab (maybe try a Celestion G12H for their sparkle). Also try cranking your V3 volume up to 1-3 o-clock and leave it there, but dial POD/guitar volume down low for clean and work up from there. VJr.s power valve needs to be HOT for tonal harmonics you expect from a good valve amp.

After that I would start thinking that the V3 mods went amok and either sort it out or buy a new stocker, upgrade the valves and then play on. Good luck.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Its not that the V3 doesn't have enough clean, its more that I want to try something new out. This way i get a bigger speaker - never been real impressed with the sound of any 8" I've ever heard as well as some more wattage if I need it. This wasn't the first VJR I've modded, don't think anything went amok, although they have in the past. Glad to hear someone else is having good luck with the VJR and a POD.

I know that whenever I'm thinking "clean" with regard to guitars and amps, the first thing that pops into my head is a Vjr! NOT!

Seriously though, yeah, the Galaxie would definitely be a huge step up, if you're looking for a cleaner tone, and I would consider that a worthy trade.

VJr.s power valve needs to be HOT for tonal harmonics you expect from a good valve amp.

Single ended tube amps are running "hot" 100% of the time, regardless of where the volume knob is set. What you're hearing is distortion, in the form of "tonal harmonics." It's the main reason people will salivate over a tube amp's "clean tones." That's actually a misnomer. Every tube amp distorts, regardless of whether or not we can actually hear the distortion as distortion.

I'm real happy with the galaxie 25. It sounds great and I really like the sound of it. One problem I've noticed though (probably should start a new thread for it) when its cranked all the way it sometimes gives out this awful feedback. I can get it to happen fairly easily but my apartment isn't the best place to have it turned up all the way. I'm going to try changing out the first pre-amp tube then a few more to see if the problem goes away.

when its cranked all the way it sometimes gives out this awful feedback.

That's generally an oscillation issue, and can usually be resolved with minor wiring layout alterations, though it's not necessarily easy to find the culprit(s) and figure out where they need to lie differently. This isn't a very common issue with factory, PCB-built amps, so I suspect that it's come about as a result of the OT swap and other mods.

You might have to pop the top and play around with the wiring with a pair of chopsticks, in order to find out if that's the problem, and get a feel for what needs to be changed in order to overcome it. If you do have to go that route, pay heed to the deadly voltage warnings...you can get yourself some nasty shocks by poking around in live amps.

Thats what I suspected might be the culprit, tube change is easy - hopefully that solves the problem but I don't have my hopes up. I've solved some routing issues on an 18W that I have so I'm familiar with that. Maybe it'll be obvious once I open it up. Thanks for the help.

Archived