Gibson Brands Forums

Chet Atkins epiphone guitar

I was wondering if anyone could give me information on an epiphone electric hollow body guitar i have. The body shape looks similar to the alley cat model. The color is wine red. The truss rod cover has chet atkins written on it. there is a bigsby tuner whammy bar mounted on the bottom. there are two chrome covered pick ups, two control knobs, one switch and the electric cord plugs into the side edge of the guitar. If you look through the f hole there is a sticker that reads Model:Chet Atkins-WR the serial number line is blank then says guarenteed against material and workmanship defects Epiphone. The sticker is orange, oval with black lettering. Can anyone tell me any information about this guitar. What is it worth? Why no serial number? Why can't I find any info about it on the web? Is it a real epiphone or some kind of fake? I would appreciate any help i could get. Thanks.

Hmm... very curious. Any chance you could upload some pictures. From the orange label that should bear the serial number we can assume it is post japanese. The WR suggests Wine Red as finish normally follows model on the label.

How does it differ from this Wildkat? Selector switch placement, headstock shape etc

Wildkat-RM.gif

Ok, apparently Epiphone made an Epiphone Chet Atkins Country Gentleman II in the late 80s that fits your description. Not sure if the bigsby was factory fitted though and can't seem to find too many pics of this one. I'm sure JerryMac will have owned one at some point in time and will await his input!

Late 80s korean would make it Samick and perhaps the original serial number was on a sticket on the back of the headstock and has since been removed!

Ta-da!! These things seem pretty rare! Took me ages to track down:

No idea what the market price is like in america. Could easily see this selling for £600 in the UK because of its apparent rarity. I'd prefer the Gretsch electromatic model personally. The epi version looks a bit barren (only two pots) but a cool piece of epi history i'd never seen before.

Reviews: >>CLICK<<

countrygentleman1985.jpg

There was a working pic there last night ^^^

Ok' date=' apparently Epiphone made an Epiphone Chet Atkins Country Gentleman II in the late 80s that fits your description. Not sure if the bigsby was factory fitted though and can't seem to find too many pics of this one. I'm sure JerryMac will have owned one at some point in time and will await his input!

Late 80s korean would make it Samick and perhaps the original serial number was on a sticket on the back of the headstock and has since been removed![/quote']

Guilty as charged:

epiChetcg.jpg

It was a pretty cool guitar, the neck was like 1 3/4" wide, a little too wide for my liking. Late '80 sounds about right, it was the Epiphone version of the Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman.

Thank you so much for your help. It appears that you have hit the nail on the head with the country gentlleman model the picture is exactly like the one I have. I appreciate the information. The guitar belongs to my Father in-law and he is wanting to sell it. He was wanting to know something about its value so he would know what to ask for it price wise. Thanks again.

Archived