Gibson Brands Forums

Stock pickups...Epi Les Paul Standard vs Epi Sheraton II

PP_CS336

Hi! I thought maybe one or some of you more technical guys out there on the forum might be able to

give me a logical answer to this...I have not touched the stock pickups in either of my guitars in the subject

as indicated since I bought these two guitars. I was out playing with my band Saturday night when I noticed a vast difference in the output of Sheraton II over my Les Paul Standard when I switched my

guitars. Both were set at the same volume level of 5. Yet when I played my Sheraton it seemed much louder than my Les Paul. Both of them have the stock Epi Humbucker pickups in them. Is there some variance in the two guitars' pickups due to different style maybe? i.e. are the Humbucker p'ups on the

Sheraton II a different style from the ones on a Les Paul Standard? My Sheraton II was made in Korea

in 2005 vs my Les Paul Standard made China in 2007...could the two factories use different type Humbucker

pickups? Or maybe the Ohm capacity of the pots on the two guitars is different and that could have an

affect? I haven't the slightest idea; that's why I'm throwing the question out for those of you who are

more knowledgable in that arena. BTW, I never touched the settings on my amplifier. I had to actually

turn my Sheri down, she was so hot. Let me know what you guys think it could be. Thanks!

AFAIK:

Sherry neck & bridge: Alnico Classic

Les Paul neck: Alnico Classic (same as Sherry)

Les Paul bridge: Alnico Classic Plus (overwound/hot)

Those two pickup models, in either of those two configurations, account for most Epis.

AFAIK:

Sherry neck & bridge: Alnico Classic

Les Paul neck: Alnico Classic (same as Sherry)

Les Paul bridge: Alnico Classic Plus (overwound/hot)

Those two pickup models' date=' in either of those two configurations, account for most Epis.[/quote']

Thanks, Ron! But, any reason why the sound of the Sheraton is hotter on the same setting as the Les Paul?:-

There may also well be a difference in the pickups themselves. Epiphone contracts out the manufacture of their pickups, and an "Alnico classic" from one factory may have different materials than those from another --- or even from the same factory in another year.

There may also well be a difference in the pickups themselves. Epiphone contracts out the manufacture of their pickups' date=' and an "Alnico classic" from one factory may have different materials than those from another --- or even from the same factory in another year.[/quote']

Parabar, thanks for the suggestion. I was kind of thinking along that line as the pickup setup height is pretty much

the same on both my guitars.

Archived