Gibson Brands Forums

Prophecy EX SG Color

never2old

Brand new here with a question... I'm confused about the actual color of the Prophecy SG. In most marketing pictures I see the body looks black/gray and in other pictures that people post it looks black/brownish. Which is more accurate? Does the brownish/tan color of the maple show through or is the whole body tinted gray with black around the edge? What color is the back of the neck? Any other comments about this guitar would also be appreciated. Thank you.

There are two finishes./models This one, Black Cherry:

540845.jpg

This is the GX Prophecy, with 'Dirty Fingers' Pickups

And this one, Midnight Ebony

544912.jpg

This is the EX Prophecy with EMG's

The difference is fairly obvious I think, one is stained or tinted red, and the other is black/grey. The EX also seems to have a sort of black burst around the edge/bevelling. I do believe the neck colour on the EX is black, and on the GX it is a dark red/black cherry colour like the rest of the guitar.

They both have the black edge burst, but the finishes vary greatly from model to model, some having a substantial edge burst and some having practically none. In all of the models I have seen (quite a few) the natural color doesn't show through at all.

Archived