Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Masterbilt Love

RockinB23

I'm sure this has been discussed here in full but I'm new so humor me. I have owned three Epiphone masterbilt acoustic guitars. One of them being the fairly rare 12 Fret model. I was so impressed with them that I sent a letter to Gibson/Epiphone and told them what a good job they were doing. I regret having sold the 12 Fret model but I bought it new and I was able to sell it for more that new price. It says something for how hard they are too find.

I think the Masterbilt series EPI's are the best bang for the buck for acoustic guitars period. Tone wise they are comparable to guitars that cost 5 times the money.

Does anyone have a 12 Fret Masterbilt they would want to part with?

I was given a masterbilt AJ500RENS by mife for my birthday in 2007. Funny thing about it was that I had been drooling and lusting for that particular guitar, had read everything about it that I could find. My wife does'nt know from guitars but tells the GC sales guy that I wanted an Epiphone acoustic and that was all she new. The sales guy picks the AJ500RENS off the wall and says it's the only Epi acoustic he has and my wife buys it. When she gave it to me I was totaly blown away to say the least. My point is that I still feel the same way about my guitar and other people are always as impressed as I am. I am now on the trail for a EF500 and a EL00. I love Epi Guitars!

Does anyone have a 12 Fret Masterbilt they would want to part with?

I have one, but I don't want to part with it. It' magical. I LOVE the chunky V neck, too. And since they were available for so short a time, I think that someday they may become somewhat collectable. Even if they don't increase in value monetarily, I know they will increase in regard. I feel very fortunate to have snagged one.

Red 333

Hi Folks, I got involved with Epiphone when I started looking for a new guitar. I bought a Penco in 1979 when I was in jr high(they call it middle school now). Any way it sat for years and I decided to relearn to play and wanted to upgrade. The Masterbuilt Fingerstyle caught my eye with its 1.75" at the nut since I have pudgy finger tips. Then I started looking on e-bay to see what my Penco would fetch - not much of course but that is were I found my FT-165 Bard 12 string I picked over the summer and just got back from having set up, nut and saddle. I'm not that well versed on guitars but it's a great piece. Even my luither commented on the tone and thought it would be great for studio work. I still have my Penco but will be looking at a Masterbuilt soon. Red - can you post a photo of your 12 fret would like to check it out.

I have one' date=' but I don't want to part with it. It' magical. I LOVE the chunky V neck, too. And since they were available for so short a time, I think that someday they may become somewhat collectable. Even if they don't increase in value monetarily, I know they will increase in regard. I feel very fortunate to have snagged one.

Red 333[/quote']

+1 on that, Red.

Sad to say, mine had a fall and there's a big ol' crack in the cedar. My local luthier tightened up a brace that had come loose from all that, and it sounds just perfect. I fear, though, that its value as a collectable has taken as big a hit as the top did, and I will not have the luxury of that step-up brand of dogfood in my (HA!) retirement.

But sheesh, what a cannon! With fresh strings, there's nothing that sounds like it!

quote=MickeyNJ]Thanks Red… And nice collection. I wasn't sure of the 12 fret reference but I see it now. And you folks say that its part of the Masterbuilt series - does it have a model name?

The model is AJ500RC 12 fret. I believe "12 fret" is a part of the "official" designation. Unfortunately, another "nickname" for it these days is, inexplicably, "Discontinued."

Mickey' date='

I don't have a picture of it by itself, but here it is with some other Epiphones and Gibsons. Its the one on the left (on the stand) in the second row.

Red 333

[img']http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/4787/picture524.jpg[/img]

Man, that is a lovely collection of guitars. You probably have more 'stock' than any Gibson/Epi dealer here in the UK![cool]

All the best, Matt

Man' date=' that is a lovely collection of guitars. You probably have more 'stock' than any Gibson/Epi dealer here in the UK![crying']

All the best, Matt

Thanks, Matt. A good in-stock position may come in handy if the economy get any worse! Big sale at Red's!

Red 333

How rare are the EF500 models with abalone & shaded top? I cannot remember the exact model number but the few I have seen are drop dead gorgeous and I want one to replace a dread that is killing my shoulder these days.

I played a few Masterbuilts in the Guitar Center in Dayton Oh and every last one of them had dead strings on them so I was unable to get a good feel for any of them.

Ron

Archived