Gibson Brands Forums

What's the difference?

jeffspencer

My daughter wants a guitar for Christmas. My wife has an older Epiphone PR-10 that she loves so I am looking at Epiphones for my daughter too...but knowing NOTHING about guitars, I am confused. Guitar center has the "AJ-1" for $79, the "DR-100" for $99, and the "PR-150" for $129--all are within my price range.

I would like to know if anyone can tell me the differences (if any?) They all show a list price of $182.00 on Guitar Center's website.

I'm just trying to get the best one I can in this price range.

Thanks!

Jeff, as far as I can tell, there's little difference between the DR and PR except for the color of the binding (the strip that runs around the outside of the guitrs' body). The PR is a special run, which means Epiphone only offers it to certain dealers, as an exclusive. This bit of marketing may account for the change in name. Some sites have pictures of the DR up in place of the PR. The official Gibson site does depict both guitars correctly.

The difference between the DR/PR and AJ is the body size. If you look closely, you will see that the top of the AJ's body (called the shoulders) is narrower. Some smaller players find this makes it easier to play. This indeed may make a difference if your daughter is young.

By most accounts, all of these are good entry level guitars. You can read reviews on all of them on Musician's Friend and Harmony Central.

Happy Holidays,

Red 333

Looks like the only difference between the DR100 and the AJ1 is the body shape. If you click on the guitar it will take you to the page with more pictures and descriptions of each.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/compare?base_pid=512457&base_pid=518569&base_pid=518681

It's hard to say what the difference is between the DR100 and PR150 is. The PR150 costs $30 more. Maybe the body is a little bigger?

Thanks to you both. I did read that the AJ-1 is a cheaper version of the "Advanced Jumbo" body and it looks like it will be easier for my daughter to manage than my wife's dreadnaught body PR-10. For $79 (no tax or shipping!) and a set of D'Addario Phosphor Light strings, it seems like a steal to me. I will be interested to see how the quality of this one--made in China, I'm sure, compares to my wife's older, Korean built PR-10.

Archived