Gibson Brands Forums

Vibramate on 335 guitar?

I doubt you would break anything with that contraption, might pull up your stop bar posts at worst, leaving some chips in the finish. BUT...

I would not be surprised if it marred the finish beneath the plate. (Dust and dirt working its way under there, added to the micro vibrations that will more than likely impart upon your guitar) At the very least, you will have some slight discoloration happening under there compared to the rest of the top as time goes by. I would recommend that as a way to try the bigsby without permanently installing one. If a couple months go by and you are happy with it, I would do it the right way. It will sound better due to proper coupling, be more stable for tuning as well as decreasing the chances of damage and buzzing.

Vibramate is now making a model to fit the B7, which is ordinarily fitted to the 335. The web site shows it installed on a Les Paul -- I don't know if it will fit the 335. It mounts to the tail piece studs and to the rear strap stud hole.

If it fit, that would solve the problem of wear on the top from the B5 Vibramate. I have one on my SG, and it's a clever design that is practically invisible once the Bigsby is mounted to it.

Archived