Gibson Brands Forums

Speakers

bill67

Depends on the amp you're using, what type of cabinet (open, closed, vented) and what type of sound you want. A LOT of people go changing electronics and pickups before they ever look at their speakers. The speaker is what actually makes the sound project from the amp. I just bought a Celestion G10 Vintage speaker to put in my little Envoy amp. I've read a lot of reviews on this speaker and have had other Celestions with Peaveys, Marshalls and Fenders, and the Celestions provide the sound I want. I will post a review on it as soon as it gets here and I try it out. Some speakers are also designed to be used in closed cabs, and others in open cabs like a combo amp, and still some will work in both. I would suggest reading up on the speakers you're looking at to see what other people say about the sound before just buying one. Every speaker sounds a little different, even on the same amp, and most definitely each speaker sounds different on different amps. So do your homework

Check out Weber speakers at www.tedweber.com, he does the Jensen, Celestion, Fane, JBL, etc replication, but also has variations on these, and you can even design your own custom speaker out of his parts. I have about 8 Webers, and they are all great speakers! I've also got vintage JBL, Altec, and newer Eminence, as well as Jensens.

My favorites are the old Altecs like the 417 and the 421, but these are not so easy to come by, and they are heavy! also, 12 and 15's, not 10's.

That Jensen would probably be a good choice in that amp, especially if you want to keep that original fender tone. But I have heard good things about the Webers, although I personally haven't tried them out. Would be nice if a website would have recordings of sounds from different speakers through different amps. the Eminence website has speaker sounds but it doesn't say what type of amp or guitar was used to record it.

Archived