Gibson Brands Forums

1998 Epiphone Les Paul Jr. mod

Thomas Ford

Hello everyone I am new to this forum and would like to know a few things about modding a recently purchased 1998 Les Paul Jr. I am replacing the pickup with a Lollar P-90 and would like to have some info on replacement bridges and tuning machines. Also I am going to replace the pots and possibly the capacitor,any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks Tom

As far as tuners go I like Grovers, Schallers are good also, but keep in mind that you will most likely need to ream the holes in the headstock for the new tuners to fit. If you don't have any experience with replacing tuners I would take it to a repair shop to have it done, they'll have the proper reamer needed to resize the hole on the peg head. I just replaced the stock tuners on a '98 LP Jr a couple days ago and had to do just that.

I'm guessing that guitar has a wrap around stop bar tailpiece? Mine does, and I was going to buy a Leo Quann BadAss to put on it because it has adjustable saddles, but found that unless I removed the neck and shimmed it to have more of a neck to body angle the Badass was gonna be too tall. So I still have the original stop bar on it.

Here's a link to Stewart MacDonald, they sell all kinds of guitar parts including quality pots and caps:

StewMac.com

Archived