Gibson Brands Forums

Model Details by Serial Number

mdburn1

I have a beautiful Quilt Top Les Paul in my collection that I am trying to get more details about. Serial number indicates that it was made in UnSung in september of 1998 and it is number 364 of the production run.

Serial Number is U98090364 and it is stamped "Limited Edition" on the back of the headstock.

This has an absolutely gorgeous quilt top and I haven't found another like it. I purchased it used and now I am trying to determine a little history on it.

The neck is twisted and as much as I love this guitar I am debating if it is worth putting the money into having the neck replaced or if I should make it a nice display piece for the wall in my game room.

Any one that has knowledge of this particular year to share would be most welcomed!

So that guitar has a set neck right? I would say from a monetary standpoint that unless you're REALLY attached to that axe that it would cost about as much to repair as finding another, maybe. You might take it to a good luthier and let them check it out and give you what options they might have.............

You will pay more to replace the neck than you paid for the guitar. Take it to a luthier and see what they say, it may not be as bad as you think, I have fixed several warped and twisted necks without replacing them. There are lots of ways to tackle this, but it needs to be done by a pro, and I can't really give you the proper advice over the internet, I would need to see and hold the guitar to do that.

Thanks for your responses guys.

Gibson informs me that it is a limited edition Les Paul Standard Quilt Top but they cannot give me any specifics on how many were built.

It is a set neck and I plan to find the local expert to have it looked at. I'm currently looking for a les paul "project" with the idea that I'll swap over all the hardware and hopefully some of the history of the original guitar will live on in a new body.

I'll post the final outcome once it is fixed or it's "vital organs" have been transplanted.

Thanks again,

Mike

Archived