Gibson Brands Forums

Static buzz from ES-330

dougg330

Help! My 1966 ES-330 is making a lot of noise when amplified. More of a buzz than a hum - louder on the bridge pickup than neck. Seems like static electricity builds up on the strings when I play a while, too.

Pickups and tailpiece all seem to be properly grounded.

The original pickguard had warped and was getting in the way of the 1st string, so I installed a new replacement. Could the new pickguard be causing all this commotion? My guitar tech thinks the material used in the new guards might build up static electricity and be causing the problem.

Anybody out there have experience with this?

Thanks -

Dougg330

This may not be your problem, but I have a "crackling" sound coming from the Tele. Found out is that when I strum/play, I'm rubbing my fingers over the plastic pickguard, which creates static electricity and comes thru the pick-ups. I emailed the Fender Forum, and sure enough this is common problem w/Teles. I was told to place a dryer sheet under the pickguard which insulates against the build up of static electricity.

I have a 67' ES 330 and I get the usual hum from the single coils, but never had a problem w/severe buzzing.

Thanks, Ken - that's pretty much what my tech said, too. He thinks the new plastic is different formula from the original and builds up static as my fingers rub on it - just like you and your Tele. I put the old scientific method to work and took off the new 'guard - cut down the static buzz by 90%. I'm going to try your dryer sheet thing and see what happens. I've had 2 other 330s that didn't make as much noise as this one. Might have to have it checked again for ground issues. I appreciate your help - thanks again

Dougg330

Now this is a useful bit of information to learn from a thread. I had no idea the plastics had changed that much, and one would think that manufacturers would have recognized this in the development stage and not use a static-generating plastic.

Good to know for future reference, though. Thanks!

Ignatius

I get static as well from my Les Paul.

Just running my hand up and down the back of the neck

will give me crackling sounds over my amp. I thought perhaps a bad

guitar cable...

I hooked up my Strat and the sound went away. I put it down to

the nitro finish...I may be wrong, but I dont see what else it could be?

Thanks for the tip.

I never thought about the nitro connection before. I tried and didn't get the static from a couple of my guitars with poly finishes, so you may have a point. But I also didn't get it as badly from other nitro finish guitars. I's starting to think there are several contributing factors, and not one cause.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying different guitar, amp, and cable combinations. The 330 is still my problem child. Guess I'll keep trying, though - it's annoying, and I love the guitar.

Thanks for your help

Dougg330

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up report on the static. I've been playing it without the pickguard for several weeks now and it sounds fine. The buzz and crackle are gone. Must have been static electricity building up in the pg. Think I'll just keep it this way for now and enjoy it guard-free. I have some books stacked up on the warped, original pickguard to try to straighten it; if that works, I'll reinstall it and try the dryer sheet trick.

Thanks for your help, all

Dougg330

Archived