Gibson Brands Forums

hard case!

hitokiri

hello there, i want to know how do you travel by plane with your guitars? I really need to know cause I think i'm gonna buy a guitar in other country and i don't know if i can carry it on hand baggage or i need to buy a hard case...i don't know....pls i need your help...thx....and btw do you know any place where i can buy a ej 200 sunburst in france?

I've heard that if you should call your airline of choice and ask about their guit tar policy. Once you get an affirmative that you can carry it on, get the person's name. Someone posted here or on the Gibson forum said he had done so, but some nit wit at the gate told him he had to check it. He said politely, "No I called and "so and so" said it was okay." With no further comment, they let him and the guit tar through. Couldn't hurt to carry a copy of the subject airline's instrument policy, printed from their website.

Arriving early to get on early helps too. Most times the attendants will offer to stow your cased guit tar in a 1st class coat closet.

Be advised that this is counted as 1 carry-on towards your total allowed carry-ons.

In my opinion, I would never, ever, ever let my guit tar out of my sight when traveling, especially if I relied on it to make a living.

Does your chosen air carrier refuse to allow a guit tar as a carry on? Switch carriers.

Also, take inventory of your tool box. Things like wire cutters, nail clippers and Gorilla Snot might raise eyebrows with the TSAs. Jettison them, or move to your checked baggage. Expect to be asked to turn your electronic tuner on and show that it is functional as a tuner.

Does your chosen air carrier refuse to allow a guit tar as a carry on? Switch carriers.

Tommy' date=' I'm afraid with all the recent terrorist threats it not down to the airline anymore....They can always say "No" despite Airline policy if they feel it is a threat...

[biggrin

Tommy' date=' I'm afraid with all the recent terrorist threats it not down to the airline anymore....They can always say "No" despite Airline policy if they feel it is a threat...

[blink

Yeah. I suspect if they asked me to play the durn thing, they'd consider it a threat and kick me off. [blush]

The tough thing about traveling with a guit tar is it's size. Technically it doesn't fit the size parameters for a carry on, but the airlines know that a cargo hold is not a good place for a guit tar and even though they probably have a legal leg to stand on by not wanting to be responsible for damage, customer satisfaction and, now, potential YouTube bad press means they are willing to accomodate a delicate instrument such as a guit tar. I've even heard an incident where an air carrier allowed a stand-up bass! [blink] It's easier for violinists and mandoliners as their cases fit in overhead compartments with ease.

It does depend on the airline. I can tell you that British Airways is extremely good about guitars. I flew home to Texas from London a couple weeks ago and they allow you bring your guitar as an extra carry-on free of charge (this policy is written on their website) They even stored it in the flight attendants coat locker and it was perfectly safe.

It does depend on the airline. I can tell you that British Airways is extremely good about guitars. I flew home to Texas from London a couple weeks ago and they allow you bring your guitar as an extra carry-on free of charge (this policy is written on their website) They even stored it in the flight attendants coat locker and it was perfectly safe.

Good to know,...I wonder if this will change following recent attempted terroist on DELTA.

Hope not...

R

:)

Archived