Gibson Brands Forums

current ES-335 block-inlay model

Albert

I've noticed that Gibson is now hyping the 335 block inlay as having a lightweight maple center block, and that the body dimensions are closer to the real deal. The spec sheet doesn't mention whether the tailpiece is aluminum (lightweight), however, so I assume it isn't. Does anyone know if the block is still completely routed out under the bridge pickup, which I understand is now standard on 335s? What effect does that have on the tone? Does the 335 Block have the Memphis circuitry? Linear or audio-taper pots? I would also like to know (if you're reading this at Gibson) why Gibson doesn't have the rear pickup, bridge and tailpiece in the same position relative to the f-holes as on the 60s 335s. (They're consistently higher--closer to the neck, in other words--on newer models than on the ~45-year old 335s I've seen.) Are the f-holes placed differently on the body or is the hardware actually mounted to different specs than the 60s ES guitars? Are some of the ES semihollows made with deeper neck angles than the 60s ones had and some with the original neck angle? If so, why and does this affect tone or sustain? (Most of the newer ES guitars seem to have the deeper neck angle, which requires the pickups and bridge to be raised higher off the body.)

They got it right on the Crossroads 335 from what I've seen, at least in terms of the hardware placement. Too bad you have to spend $10K to get one that's close to vintage specs. I bet I'm not the only one who would want a lightweight 335 made like the old ones (preferably with audio-taper pots and the capacitors connected so the tone cleans up and retains treble when you lower the volume), but who doesn't want to spend extra money on the frills that added to the cost of the Crossroads 335. I'm as much of a fan of Clapton's old playing as anyone, but I 'd prefer a guitar that sounds like his than one that has the Hare Krishna stamp on the back, etc.

Does anyone know if the block is still completely routed out under the bridge pickup' date=' which I understand is now standard on 335s? What effect does that have on the tone? [/quote']

That routing has been around since the mid 1960's. My 1967 335 has it for sure. I used to have a Yamaha SA2200, and it did not have the big chunk removed...it was more like an original Gibson than my '67 Gibson, LOL! The tone of the '67 is wonderful, so I don't sweat it.

• 6 months later...

They started using the notch in the center block in mid 1961 on 335's. Story goes that they wanted a way to get the Varitone in on the stereo, 355's etc., and it wouldn't fit in through the f-hole so the notch allows everything to go in through the neck pickup rout. If you click on "media" after looking at a particular model on the ES microsite, there's a choice of videos; one of them shows the 335 being made and it's interesting to see the center block before it gets sandwiched inside the countour braces. The notch is visible from the f-hole, and with an inspection mirror you can even read the decal on the underside of the pickup.

I can see that, perhaps when combined with other factors, the notch might affect the tone; then again the contour braces still span the short gap so it's not like the top is goig to flop around there. Has anyone heard the difference or even read some description of the difference?

I would agree with your prediction that if they don't say it has a lightweight tailpiece, it probably doesn't. Expensive upgrade if you use Gibson parts, inexpensive if you go with Gotoh, and mid-priced if you get the Tone-Pros locking stud deal. I'm ordering a Gotoh aluminum tailpiece for my ES-339.

Archived