Gibson Brands Forums

Any info on a Squier MIM Strat?

lpfan

I already have 2 Fender MIM Strats but I found a Squier MIM Strat for $125 on craigslist. I'm trying to get it down to $100. Its black with a maple neck and a s/s/s setup. I was just wondering if anyone new anything about the MIM Squier Strats. Thanks everyone!

I already have 2 Fender MIM Strats but I found a Squier MIM Strat for $125 on craigslist. I'm trying to get it down to $100. Its black with a maple neck and a s/s/s setup. I was just wondering if anyone new anything about the MIM Squier Strats. Thanks everyone!

I bought one in 1996' date=' it actually said Fender on the headstock with Squier Series like this one:

[img']http://lh5.ggpht.com/_6_s2G6qjkvE/SsFxZqC923I/AAAAAAAAEp4/BI_aClLyNBg/s576/IMG_4493.JPG[/img]

After playing Gibson, Guilds & Gretsch guitars all my life, it was my first Strat and I loved it. The only negative was the cheapo tuners, but I immediately replaced them with a set of Kluson style Pings.

Jerrymac - The headstock is exactly like that, decals and all. I'm waiting to hear back from them so hopefully it isn't sold. I figured for $100 bucks, I can't go wrong. I was just wondering how close the specs on it are to the MIM Fender Strats.

Jerrymac - The headstock is exactly like that' date=' decals and all. I'm waiting to hear back from them so hopefully it isn't sold. I figured for $100 bucks, I can't go wrong. I was just wondering how close the specs on it are to the MIM Fender Strats.[/quote']

I didn't have an electric 6 string when we move across country in '95, but I had seen a black MIM Squier Telecaster in a music store before we hit the road. Naturally, I wasn't going to buy it knowing it would be one more thing to schlep across country, but I anticipated buying something when I got to California. I eventually went to the music store out here, but they didn't have any MIM Teles, so I tried out a few various guitars they had hanging on the wall. Didn't bond with any of them, never even plugged one in (I first like to try a guitar unplugged to see if it feels right). As I started to leave, the salesman says that has a really nice Mexican Strat in the back, so I said bring it out. The second I played it I knew she was coming home with me. It was set up really nice, the neck felt great, and thought it sounded great when I plugged it it (the salesman insisted). Now I don't know about what pickups they use on it, or what kind of wood they used for the body, I just thought it was a really good playing guitar, way better than anything else they had in the $200 - 300 range. Only negatives - the tuners were cheap, easy fix, and it was red. I would have preferred black!!! And the MIM Tele I saw in NY was really nice as well.

Good luck, I hope you get it.

Well Jerry I didn't get it. I thought this guitar was one I considered buying before but when I finally had the funds they said they had sold it. Well a month later it pops up for sale again by the same person. I didn't know it til they replied to my offer and said it was sold again. Man there are some strange people out there when it comes to craigslist. I really don't know if its sold or not. Thanks for the info Jerry.

LPfan:

If you get the opportunity, try and acquire that guitar. Just my opinion, but I love my MIM Squier. I have a '95 that I picked up for $50 and a friend of mine has a '94 that we purchased for $60. I keep mine on a stand by my desk and it probably gets the most use of all my guitars.

Here is a photo of my lefty:

squier_95_001.jpg

and my buddies guitar:

squier94_001.jpg

I bought my friends red strat for him as the seller lived about 5 minutes from me and my friend bought mine as the seller lived near him. I really love the red w/maple board on my friends MIM Squier.

Great guitars

epinder - I don't think they will sell it to me even if they still had it. They act really weird about it for some reason. I also replied with an e-mail letting them know that I didn't appreciate them lying to me the first time when they said it was sold. I had e-mailed them and asked if they could get me in contact with whomever bought the guitar the first time they said it was sold and they said that they would not do that. So when it came up for sale again and the reply came from the same people, I knew they lied for whatever reason. People are strange when you're a stranger .....

epinder - I don't think they will sell it to me even if they still had it. They act really weird about it for some reason. I also replied with an e-mail letting them know that I didn't appreciate them lying to me the first time when they said it was sold. I had e-mailed them and asked if they could get me in contact with whomever bought the guitar the first time they said it was sold and they said that they would not do that. So when it came up for sale again and the reply came from the same people' date=' I knew they lied for whatever reason. People are strange when you're a stranger .....[/quote']

Faces look ugly.....sorry had to keep it going!!

If they still have it, see if a friend of yours can check it out. My buddy was checking out a guitar last year that once negotiations started, the deal went south. The owner told my friend he wouldn't sell it to him, no matter what the circumstance was.

Forward to a few days later, my friend decided he had to have that guitar, so he asked me to check it out and buy it for him. Chris had a new guitar and the seller never knew.

Good Luck in your search

Archived