Gibson Brands Forums

Saddle leaning on new Masterbilt AJ-500M... Help? **EDITED-PICTURES!**

chowderhead

Hi All,

I just purchased a Masterbilt AJ-500M from a local Guitar Center. It's my first acoustic purchase; I'm an electric player but just wanted something nice to relax with.

I LOVE this guitar... beautiful, full sound. But tonight something started niggling at me, and after hopping around the internet, now I'm in a bit of a state. The saddle leans a bit forward towards the fretboard. Looks like the slot was routed that way, not that the slot is too big. I wasn't going to change the strings till later next week, so I haven't taken the originals off yet to see how tight the saddle's in there yet, but I've been reading a lot tonight that says a leaning saddle is a BAD thing; that it'll eventually crack the bridge and result in an expensive repair!

So my question is, to anyone who has a Masterbilt AJ-500M or any other Masterbilt model, does your saddle lean forward? Is this a flaw in my particular guitar, or is it inherent in the line itself? They do utilize the Gibson belly-up bridge, if that makes any difference at all.

Thanks so much in advance!!

**EDITED TO ADD**

New! Improved! Post!... Pictures added.... (Not the best, sorry. Small camera, bad lighting. But they get the idea across, I think. Thanks again for looking, and for any thoughts.)

aj500saddle1.jpg

aj500saddle2.jpg

aj500saddle3.jpg

Actually your break angle looks really good on her. You might want to make sure that its not some other problem, but do take it back to the store you purchased it from and get yourself a new one either way you don't want to be bothered with getting work done later if you can avoid it.Ship

Thanks ship. It's going back. My thinking too.... even though it sounds nice now, I'd still be looking down at that saddle and just waiting for something to go wrong. Definitely would keep me from enjoying it, even if something never went wrong. And agreed, for a brand new shiny guitar at full price, one shouldn't have to be fixing it right off the bat. Shame really, 'cause other than this one thing.... it's a beauty!

Edited to add.... Oh, and ship... as you've implied, someone else over at HC mentioned that it might not exactly be the saddle itself. That it looked like the top was sagging and in need of hydration. If it is, that's the way it came out of the acoustic room at GC. I know that's an easy fix, but I'd rather get it back without experimenting, and try to find one that doesn't start with the problem in the first place.

I have a bad habit of going out and playing guitars in the $600 to $1200 range. Today was another excerise in self abuse. It was made worse because the first one I tried was a Larrivee L-05. I almost has an organisim. About $1800 street price. I very carefully put it back.

Now back to real life, I did see a MB AJ 500m while looking around the shop, I asked the sales guy to tune it up (something I like to do so I can hear it from the real business end). I listened to him rip off a few a few licks. I sounded like a tin can, I didn't play it. He got called out for a phone call. I was playing a couple of Breedloves and an Epi Dove. They didn't have any other 500s, and he wouldn't change the strings, so I don't know for sure. One of the Breedloves for the same price kicked its butt for sound but felt and looked like junk.

Take/send yours back, Get another one or go listen to some one else play another brand, If you like the sound, then play it yourself, before you buy. I'm still looking.

The point is that there are a lot of decent guitars out there for the same price. I chose my '06 Dean Tradition 2 from 3 in the area. mine was clearly better sounding and playing than the other 2 I found. But it still is my "beater"

I would'nt say get one thou. The newer ones have been cheapened. But you might find that jem somewhere. You need to do some carefull looking.

Dang, that Larrivee was sweet, better than any $2000 guitar I have played in the last 6 months. I got to start working on the wife, maybe put it on layaway.

the saddle seems to lean a tiny bit backward on my AJ-500M. It's also really tall, the break angle is way too steep. I hadn't worried about it as the nut seems perfect and the guitar plays like a dream throught frets 1-10, although I do plan on taking it to the shop for a bone saddle soon. I figure that should sort it out. I'll take some pics and post them later.

Archived