Gibson Brands Forums

gibson sg 3 any thoughts?

The single-coil version is an awesome guitar, I had the pleasure of playing around with one a few months back. It feels like an SG, but sounds like a ballsy Strat.

If it were me though, I'd just get a real fat strat for similar tone, less expense and what I consider to be a cooler shape.

As for the humbucker model, well Epiphone makes one of those too, just without the 6-way switch :)

I used to own the exact guitar- humbucker version- in the worn black finish.

I thought the guitar was very good in general. Great sound, the six tones were nice to have, and the worn finish was cool. I did have an issue with the six way switch though. First, it is difficult to switch to another position "on the fly" so to speak. It also started to crap out on me, but that can be fixed easy enough.

I sold it because a 3 humbucker guitar is not really my cup of tea. The middle pickup got in the way too much when picking.

Hmm, now that I think about it, wouldn't it be awesome to pick up a cheap G-310 or find a G400 with the full-pickguard, and get a new pickguard cut for three singles (along with routing the body for them, of course.)

Hmm, I keep coming up with so many epic projects.. I need a better job [rolleyes]

Archived