Gibson Brands Forums

FT570SB Dovetail

bufflohead

This guitar has blue label with only model# (MIJ) but every FT570 I have found on this site and many others did not have dovetail neck. I figure this to be prior to '74 models but I'm stumped!

This probably has a bolt on neck, albeit with a heel. These bolted on somewhat like a Taylor with the bolt threading into an insert in the heel. You might be able to see a bolt head or nut through the sound-hole.

Can you get some light into the inside of the box and take a picture of this area?

Best to shine a light into the inside of the box via the sound hole, or put a light inside the box. Then take a macro pic. I've heard about these necks, but have never seen one.

Thanks for responce I've read alot of your posts here and learned alot. However, like you I can't find this one. It has the bolt/not inside and I will get a picture posted. From what I learned from yourself and others on this site I believe this to be 69-70, maybe was shipped with whatever materials, guitars over to Japan those years. I don't know. Thanks again For more pics email bufflohead2002@yahoo.com peace...

To post more pictures, other than your avatar, you must upload them to a 3rd party website, like photobucket.com. Then post a link or img to it in the text of your post. To display the pics the URL needs to be preceded by the letters img inside the square brackets [], then img/ inside the square brackets[] at the end of the url.

I think we need a pick of the neck block form INSIDE the sound hole to confirm the construction for you.

I would also get that bridge looked at, its crooked, previously badly repaired, and there are some concerning cracks running along the grain on the bass side. If the cracks are more than finish deep you could be in trouble. How's the bridge plate holding up?

In guitar construction parlance, this:

Dove Tail Joint

is known as a dovetail joint. In cabinet making it is something different. Related... but different.

Your blue label reveals it was made in 1970's when the Epiphone line was marketed by Norlin. I can almost bet that the lower right corner of the label, which is curled up reads "Made in Japan". You will not get any closer on a date as serial numbers at this time were anything but serial. The blue MIJ label puts it between 1972 and 1975-ish.

It was a sister to my FT145SB in my avatar. I LUST after a FT570SB.

The joint on this and the other heeled jointed FT Epis of this era probably had a joint I would call a dado and tennon with a bolt for added security. Someone reported here that they were glued then bolted in place. The bolting was not meant to make neck resetting easier, as with Taylor guitars, but as an assembly line expedient. If you remove the nut from the inside, you still have to over come the glue adhesion to seperate neck. Might take some steaming to accomplish.

Here is what a cat who goes by the name Larens says about the evolution of the Norlin era Epiphones:

1957- Chicago Musical Instrument (CMI) purchases Epiphone (announced May 10' date=' 1957). It had previously acquired Gibson in the spring of 1944.

December 19, 1969- ECL Industries Inc. ( "Ecuadorian Company Limited"-incorporated in Delaware and a U.S. subsidiary of a Panamanian corporation of the same name)officially takes over CMI. [b']Norlin[/b] is an amalgamation of the first syllable of ECL's chairman's first name, Norton Stevens and the last syllable of CMI's president M.H. Berlin's last name.

1970- ECL's U.S. operation becomes "Norlin Industries Inc." and the Panamanian corporation becomes "Norlin Corporation". CMI remains a subsidiary of the U.S. operation.

August 1970- Epiphone production in Kalamazoo is halted. Domestic Epiphone guitars are still shipped into early 1971.

1971- Beginning in the spring of 1971, Norlin imports Matsumoku/Aria-made models from Japan which have been re-branded as Epiphones. These models use the familiar blue "Kalamazoo"-type Epiphone interior labels and early models make use of actual left-over Kalamazoo labels bearing the "Union Made" designation. The first year (1971) the model nomenclature was carried-over from the Aria models. In 1972 new model designations using the alpha prefixes "FT", "EA" and "ET" were used on these imported Epiphones.

1972- A merger of Norlin Industries Inc. and CMI operations creates "Norlin Music Inc." A few years later the name was again changed back to "Norlin Industries Inc.

I have read some internet sites which indicate Norlin had purchased one or several US band instrument manufacturers like OLDS and CONN. This might be when "Norlin Music, Inc." came about... .this is a hypothesis.

1975- Matsumoku begins production of a Japan-exclusive line of higher-end Epiphones. These at first are sold only in Japan but by 1979 the arch top line is distributed world-wide.

1975- Norlin opens the Nashville operation producing the higher volume instruments such as the Les Paul models while the Kalamazoo operation' date=' now antiquated, continues making the lower volume models. By 1977 the corporate center of Gibson's universe was Nashville. Epiphone corporate operations are moved to Lincolnwood, Illinois. [b']At about this point Epiphone began using the "Norlin" square label replacing the blue K-Zoo-type label. The higher-end line of Matsumoku-made Epiphone labels continue to reference "Epiphone/Kalamazoo"[/b]

Not sure if "at about this point" means 1975 or 1977. Notice that even though Epis are not being made in K'zoo, the name of the city still persists on the label. But... the label doesn't say "Made In Kalamazoo".

June 1979- Norlin merges Gibson Inc. into Norlin Industries Inc. and Gibson ceases to exist as a manufacturing operation becoming only a brand name as Epiphone had previously become.

1979/1980- The "FT" acoustic line is replaced by the "PR" Presentation line of acoustics. The "PR" series continues production in Korea after production is moved there in 1983.

July 1983- he decision to close the Kalamazoo factory is made and a year later in September' date='1984 operations ceased in Kalamazoo. For the last year of operation the Kalamazoo factory diversified into making things like clock cases, water bed frames and conversion van parts to keep the employees working.

1983- Most Epiphone guitar production is moved to Korea and contracted out to Samick. Matsumoku continues to make the higher-end line of Epiphone instruments in Japan. Some Epiphone instruments at this point in time are also made in Taiwan and Indonesia

January 15,1986- "Gibson Guitar Corp." is created when Henry Juszkiwwicz, David Berryman and Gary Zebrowski purchases Norlin's fretted instrument division. GGC later becomes Gibson Musical Instruments (GMI).

1985/1986- While Henry J and company were negotiating for the Gibson name, three former Gibson employees, Jim Deurloo, Marvin Lamb and J.P. Moats were working their own deal to take over the former Gibson factory at 225 Parsons Street in K-Zoo and begin making "Heritage" guitars.

June, 1989- Gibson opens up their Bozeman, Montana acoustic operation Gibson having previously used the Nashville factory whose climate was determined to be unsuited for acoustic production.

Hopes that clears some things up regarding dates and such. For more fascinating information check out " Gibson Guitars: 100 Of An American Icon" by Walter Carter.

Larens[/quote']

So is my soon-to-be ex-wife! hehehe Let me know if you need an old hippy guitar/realtor...peace

Sorry to hear that (regarding the divorce)!! My wife and I were talking about moving into a smaller house, but the way prices have plummeted, we're stuck in our present home for awhile.

I saw your ad in the local CL. Good Luck

Archived